Lent

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by bowhunter448, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone should have traditions. They're very cool.

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're right. I am a little sensitive over my faith. That's why I'm very careful over my use of words when I provide my comments regarding what or who people may hold dear.

Thick skin is applicable in many things, but don't think I'm going to let things like "I used to be a Catholic, until I read a Bible," slide without a response.

I could've easily fired back, "I guess you couldn't hack it as a Catholic" or "Catholics read the Bible; if you were a real Catholic you would know." Or some other trashy statements like that.

Instead, I asked for us to refocus this thread on more professional comments and questions that lead to better understanding rather than more division.

3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stadium Applause!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doing a progressive lent again this year:

-First week is alcohol
    -Second week I will be adding all artificial sweets or candy
    -Third week I will be adding coffee
    -Fourthweek add grains/carbs (breads and such)

*haven't decided the following ones quite yet.

5. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that's definitely a "Body is a Temple" approach. I feel that there's a very deep connection between the spiritual and the physical. After all, in most Christian expressions, the Mystery of the Incarnation, of Christ becoming Flesh, demonstrated the importance of our own physical existence, that under the proper order, our bodies are a gift from God and should be lived with great care.

That sounds like an awesome Lenten plan =) I may have to borrow your plan.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Not easy by any means but awesome experience...oh and fyi to everyone not just Catholics practice and observe Lent :) I'm one of the exiled Lutherans haha!

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really???? Like Below?

Hiding it in this post ...transparent ....

And then the hypocritical statement ....

Really? Too bad your above statement exposed you... if you would have left that out, I would have believed you....typical... :busted:

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    To those whom feel the lenten practice of "giving" something up is childish, old fashioned, not important or dumb (not saying or pointing to anyone so don't take it as such)...why?

Why is it deemed wrong or not fitting any longer to set before someone choices made in order to bring us back or at minimum remind us of the ultimate sacrifice made, Jesus dying on the cross? That is ultimately what our "sacrifices" are to remind us of, not what we've given up, not what the church tells us to give up...not in order to be a good little christian but to remind us of HIM. Should I need a reminder? No, absolutely without a shadow of a doubt I shouldn't need one...but I do.

Every single day I shouldn't need to remind myself lustful thoughts are sinful when scrolling through forum posts, facebook posts or instagram....but I do.

I shouldn't have to remind myself daily that the pursuit of money shouldn't control what I do but I do.

I shouldn't have to remind myself daily that I shouldn't be envious of others and what they may or may not have...but I do.

I do because I am innately sinful. Sin is so deeply entrenched in me only One can separate me from it...that is why I practice Lent. It is another time for me to force myself to remember the sacrifice He made for me despite everything about me screaming back at him "I DON'T DESERVE IT".

Should I have to force myself to do things to remember? No, but then again I am but perfect at one thing....being a sinner; and if Lent somehow can make me understand that more...than I will do it.

That is just me though. Some of the "greatest" Christians in my life don't practice lent...doesn't make them any less or any more than those that do...understanding that is the primary though to understanding lent.

9. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Preach it, brother!

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm giving up coffee. (but not caffeine... tried but my brain hated me... hopefully I can do that later)

I'm not Catholic. But I understand giving up something as an additional affirmation of Faith.

Out here the Mormons do fasts on a fairly regular basis. The money that would have gone for the meals is donated to provide for the needy. They don't believe God will cast them into Hell for not fasting... they do it to provide for others and so they never lose sight of what it feels like to go hungry. I think that's awesome.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am so for fasting.... the Bible says it afflicts the soul...

There are many ways to do it:

1. No water or food at all (not for longer than 3 days
    2: Just water (not longer than 40 days)
    3. Any mix of whatever you feel the Lord wants you too and for how long.....

The biggest thing is to follow God ...He will lead...There are many studies that show the benefits of fasting... both spiritually and physically ...interesting stuff...

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

16. Rabbit 57

Rabbit 57 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't read one post where anyone is bashing anyone.

I spend a lot of time on AT. So far everyone here IS being respectful and some funny. Post this on AT and you'll see some real bashing on both sides until everyone looks to be hypocritical.

And let's get this strait. Everyone one sins, and all of the time. Otherwise you'd be sinless. And who WAS sinless? Doing your lent thing thinking you're giving up SINS during that time is making you sinless for a period???

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

18. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont' get into these religious threads very often (if at all). I used to participate in lent when I was younger. I just don't anymore. I guess I got to the point where you're either the way you are 365 days of the year or you're not. Why the designated time to practice what you should be practicing and behaving as a catholic the way you should be? After lent is over it's back to a free for all? It logistically makes no sense as far as a relationship or faith with God. It's more of a feel good thing for yourself.

I have similar feelings with people that go to church on Sundays. Not stereotyping all of them (disclaimer). BUT I would say over half the people you see walking out of church on Sunday commit a half dozen sins before they make it home. It's just turned into more of a "for show" or "look at me I'm a good catholic". Are you really? Are you really doing anything for your faith and belief in God or just going through the motions to do what you "should" be doing. I probably have a better relationship with God 20 feet in a treestand on sunday morning than most people attending church.

And for what it's worth ... off topic but related I feel the same way about Valentines Day. Ya need a day to express your love for your significant other? Creepy.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

20. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We're Presbyterian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk