Arrow Length vs Weight...Arrow Flight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AdamSean, Mar 4, 2014.

1. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question in reguards to my arrows. I have been using a 29" arrow weighing 8.4 gpi with a 100 grain point totalling 343.6 grains. I have since bought some new arrows that are 9.0 gpi. I have cut them down to 27.25" totalling 345.25 grains. I am new to archery and was wondering. Even though my arrow is almost 2 inches shorter than the old one, as long as thr overall weight is almost identical, with the new shorter arrow be on the target with the old one? Or am I going to have to go re-sight everything?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would more worry a change in spine.
    As far a change in POI...your only way to know is to shoot it and find out.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    This. Dropping 1.75" of arrow off is significant enough to alter spine depending on what end of the spectrum you are (assuming both the longer and shorter arrows are the same spine). Are they both the same spine?

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The difference in diameter (if there is a difference)will play a bigger role in poi than the weight.

I agree about spine but if they are the same spine, the shorter will have a stiffer dynamic spine so you should be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a toss-up on re-sighting... why did you change in the first place? just wondering...

6. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I changed because Academy no longer has the arrows I used to use. I went ti the range today and the new shorter arrows POI was nearly identical. I was even vetting tighter groups.

For informational references, they were both a 400 spine. The older was a Beman ICS Hunter 400 at 8.4 gpi. The new arrows are Beman MFX Bone Collector small diameter 400 at 9.0 gpi. It appears in this case, the POI was the same and no sight adjustment was needed.

One final note, the MFX arrows are really quiet. Release is softer, flight is silent, and impact is even soft. And penetration is almost 2/3 the shaft where the ICS Hunter is about 1/2 shaft.

7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like they shoot about the same. Good deal. One thing, you said your arrow weight is 343 grains. That is just the shaft and tip. You need to add the weights of the insert, nock and fletchings. Have fun.

8. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are going to be around 380 grains, with blazers a nock, and insert.