New kid on the block! Full setup under 1,000 help

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by TIGGLEBITTIES, Feb 10, 2014.

1. TIGGLEBITTIES

TIGGLEBITTIES Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392736024.760408.jpg

That's at 50 yards. They all group to the right, it'll take a couple more days to sort out whether its my sights or my technique that need to change.
    But not too shabby for my first day shooting a real bow I say!
    I really got lucky with the sights on this one.

2. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and welcome to the site!

3. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Check your grip could be too much torque on the handle make sure to relax you hand on the handle and just cradle the bow between the thumb and palm in us web

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ Yes.... Dont "grip" the bow when at full draw, but dont hold your hand open either, keep it completely relaxed using as little hand muscles as possible.. And the reason your shooting to the right at 50+yds could be any number of things, could be a tuning issue or could simply be bc your arrows are under spined, at your DL and DW you should be using a 300-350 spined arrow... And another thing that i noticed you said in the OP about "killing arrows and practice arrows", they are the same thing.. Shoot diff makes, weights, lengths to find out what shoots best for you and stick with it.. Practicing is pointless if your not using the same equipment youll be hunting with, just make sure you stay with a spine that is 300-350

2011 Destroyer350 27" DL @64lbs, QAD Ultra-rest HDX, HHA Optimizer Lite 5519 sight, 6" Bee-Stinger, Gold Tip Velocity XT 400 & Black Eagle Carnivore 350, Grim Reaper 1 3/4 cut 100gr

5. TIGGLEBITTIES

TIGGLEBITTIES Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys^^
    I've got the arrows all cut down to the right length and got field tips and some varmint tips all the same weight now.
    Arrow spine measurements are confusing as hell and the fact that every manufacturer decides to make their own measurement up doesn't help anything!
    But with a little help I found what should be the right ones.

6. TIGGLEBITTIES

TIGGLEBITTIES Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Spent the afternoon hunting wabbits & squirrels

And damn. Hunting like this is a whole lot harder than I thought. I'm used to taking 200+ yard shots at my food- getting inside 50 yards is an art form.

I'm preaching to the choir but hunting squirrels is great practice for anything.
    They've got great eyes and are very social, so when that rabbit hears you & spooks, they all make their alarm chirp and poof everyone's gone.
    I stepped on a stick, snapped it, watched a rabbit spook which made the squirrels panic & chirp loud which scared the birds in the bushes which made enough racket to get the dog in the yard nearby barking which got ALL the dogs barking all the way down the road and I had to sit there in time out for a half hour before they would come back & wander around. Frustrating, but I figure that dog is gonna be a beautiful trophy buck someday and I gotta get better at this game.

7. TIGGLEBITTIES

TIGGLEBITTIES Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Got my bear, bobcat and pig tags in!
    We always get them when we know we're gonna be drawn for deer tags- no way I'll pass up a clean shot at a bear or cat on my hunt for deer.

We're going to be drawn for tags in zone X12 near Bridgeport
    We've gone to zone X9A since I was little so we're worried about scouting.

Anyone hunt here?