Lets talk day packs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Feb 27, 2014.

1. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How big are the day packs that everyone is using for treestand hunting? I have a 2200 cubic inch bag that I think would be too big. I bought it for an elk hunt that I didn't end up going on ( but might next year) . Don't know whether I should use the 2200 pack or get a 1200-1500.

2. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking into the badlands reactor (900ci) or the source (1100ci)...i have a big pack if I need to carry more stuff....the smaller ones like these seem to be ideal for those days when it's a morning or afternoon hunt only or just out scouting or something...im interested to hear what everyone is using and what they like and don't like about certain packs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a Badlands Monster for many years now. It's everything I need for hunting whitetails, and I can pack everything I need for a full day in it. I have a habit of packing more than I need, if I have room I will fill it up with crap I don't ever use........I don't think I would ever want a bigger pack because of this.

4. mrirbic

mrirbic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a M.U.L.E. style Camel back. In it I always have a ziplock with clean xtra pair of socks,underwear and t shirt,fire starter,xtra knife,pair or back up gloves,some xtra Dloop,a MRE meal and a litre of water. And last but not least a few rounds for the 38(for the "Just in case")..

5. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    have you tried it yet?

my daily hunting pack is 2700 cubic inches. I rarely stuff it full, but could easily if I wanted to. I do tend to over pack, even if I am only going out for 1/2 day. even then I could probably survive for a few days from it - full water bladder, food, emergency items, extra emergency in-case items, etc...

I kinda like the extra room in case I need to shed a coat and stuff it in there so I don't have to carry it...

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what/ where I am hunting ....if it's from a tree stand am taking my Sitka gear tool box... If I am hunting in open or MT county spot and staking just for a day trip ...I am usually using an Sitka ascent 14

7. sittingfox

sittingfox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you hunt all day or just a few hours could factor in, plus what you normally haul up your tree.
    Nothing more aggrevating than not having what you need because you couldn't carry it!
    So, i went from a Badlands monster (1100 cu in) to my Sitka Flash 20 (2000 cu in).
    At first i thought it was big, but once i put in all the essentials and had room for items i could
    leave in the pack (rain gear,pack rack etc) the monster stays home & the Sitka is on the tree.

8. mrazor1

mrazor1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In IMO, stop! Get a cheap backpack from rural king (literally any type of place that offers hunting supplies). I bought 2 for 10 bucks and I've never needed more than 1. I put a snack, as well as calls, extra tree stand supplies, scent sprays, water bottles, literally anything I've ever needed. Don't spend anymore money and use it for something better. Hunting is expensive enough, give yourself a break

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a tenzing 1250
    And a badlands sacrifice 3800CI

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a used Arc'tryx pack this offseason. I've got my spotting scope accessible and everything. I don't know how it will work within my current hunting plan, but it will be a great scouting bag.

11. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pack from Walmart. It has a water bladder in it and I also keep extra lights, batteries, protein bars / energy bars, rope, toilet paper, calls, and medical supplies in it. Always have some extra stuff for just in case. I can also put my GoPro and filming stuff in there.

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a blacks creek 3:16 pack, works well. Late season I strap my outer layers to the top of it. If I'm carrying my LW Alpha as well I can put the shoulder straps of the back over the stand and strap it with the waist strap.

13. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the reactor pack, its pretty nice and I've got a lot of stuff packed into it. Been my hunting pack for last two years and so far been able to fit everything I need. Gonna haveta upgrade now though possibly since I'll be trying out the filming thing next year.

14. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Badlands Stealth. I believe it is around 1850 ci. For me it is just the right amount of storage space and size for my treestand hunting. I am sure I carry more than a lot of people for the type of hunting I do but it suits my needs. It also weight only 1lb. 8 oz. which is a plus.

15. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input...i ended up going with a tenzing tz1200....should be here next week....will be my first purchase with tenzing but after researching different bags for a few days this looks like the best fit for any situation I would need it for....it's time I had a good bag.....hope this is it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

16. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Size of my pack depends on where I am going to hunt, what I am hunting and if I intend to sit a full day dawn til dusk or a partial day. I have cat quiver with a small pack attachedwhich I use quite frequently, but it's bare necessities only. I have a regular camo type back pack for expeditions where I know I will nees to trek in more gear and for longer sits.