First Time Food Plotter

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by C0wb0yChris, Jan 5, 2014.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As you can see, I'm working with A LOT of brush/viney root systems in the ground. Luckily most are fairly easy to pull out of the ground.

When the food plot is ready to plant....this is what I "plan/hope" to do; plant clover (now) for a spring/summer/fall cover, something to get the deer use to grazing the area. Also i'm hoping to use it for extra compound for the ground when the time to plant Winter Peas is right.

Any ideas? Is it better not to plant clover if I plan on, shortly after, planting winter peas over it?

2. C Rogers

C Rogers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Clover will be fine to plant for spring and summer plot, even if you decide to plant winter peas, but by looking at the size of the plots the winter peas would be ate in no time. Know if you wanted to plant a mixture in the fall of something like wheat or rye,brassicas (turnips,radishes,rape),clover,oats with a mix of winter peas it would hold up to grazing pressure better than just a pure stand of winter peas.

By the way Chris keep up the good work its looking good man!

3. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pole saw triming and Hinge cutting around the plot works well for more sunlight.

4. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Diakon radishes the deer love them. Mix with Latino clover and chicory and plant it in the spring or late summer and youll have an all season plot!

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Continuing to work on the food plot...this past weekend I was able to clear out a small area in the food plot that didn't have to many vine roots, by hand. It's limed now, waiting on any green to spout up so I can kill it...hoping to plant in the next couple weeks. As for the other part of the food plot with all the vines and roots, I plan to wait to see what turns green, then give it a good spray and then continue clearing and lengthening the clear spot.

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg

6. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in the same region in over Alamance County. In my experience clover usually does not do very well in sandy soils, or when spring planted. This past year I tried a mix of radishes and turnips for the first time in one plot and the deer hammered the radish early season and turnips late. However, when I have planted just the turnips in the past I had a ton of softball sized ones left after the season because the deer did not hit them as hard. I have heard the radishes are less bitter so they "train" the deer to eat brassicas. Not sure how true it is, but it makes sense based on my experiences. Both combined makes an awesome all season plot.