New shooter, old injury.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by snowbeast, Feb 13, 2014.

1. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very new to the sport of archery. I recently got a pse dream season (2012), it's fully kitted out.
    I have an old sports injury which is flaring up. Unfortunately it's a shoulder and back injury.
    My bow is set to 55# which I can pull but after 30 shots my shoulder hurts the next day badly.

My question is, a guy at our club approached me to swap bows. His bow is a 2010 pse and all we know is it says pro series on it. It's maxed out on 45#.

I'm hard headed and said no. I think it is a major downgrade. I'd rather shoot less and get stronger.
    I intend on shooting a warthog in August this year and a kudu next year. A 45# bow will take smaller buck like springbok but not kudu or eland. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. Do not trade that bow.
    2. Prayer works if you need healing.
    3. Push yourself and shoot less, more often.

Good Luck!

3. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea. Shot a few arrows. Then break. Maybe start doing some push ups to strengthen shoulder and back.

Hope you get feel better. Keep hitting it and it will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off agree don't trade your bow. I would start by seeing if you can dial your bow down to 50lbs. Most likely if your at 55 now it can go down 5 more or close to it. Like others said shoot more often but fewer shots. Then I would do some research and look for some workout routines geared towards your injury and ways to strength it.

5. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the fast responses.

I'm going to try build a butt so I can shoot at home. Right now I can only shoot on a Monday.
    Prayer works well. As for pushups I'm doing lots to get stronger. Incline ones as well to get my back stronger.

6. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My target was constructed with 18" deep 3' 11" long pieces of carpet. Layered and compressed in a steel frame. I got the carpet locally for free from the classifieds. It took 3 full size house bedroom rolls but 4 standard size house bedroom size rolls would make a nice target. It is heavy and wheels should be factored in to roll it around. You can use burlap on the face and paint whatever you like on that. I used 15" deer stencils. It is a good chunk of work but should last for years.
    Best a Luck to You, Keep at it!

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep up the training and shooting. Like Fergus said, you should be able to turn down your bow a bit more.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any game in the US, including Moose or Elk with a 45# bow. You just need to make the right decisions where it counts; arrow weight, broadhead type, and shot distance.

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I believe Fred bear hunted all North American game with a 38 pound traditional bow. However, never hunting African game, I am not sure how they compare to North American game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have similar issues, sports injuries causing extreme pain when fully extended on the draw and when holding the bow forward. A few years ago I was crazy lucky to find one of Chuck Norris' Total Gyms at a garage sale for $5. They didn't know if it would work, but I took it home and bam. The biggest benefit is after a couple weeks of using the lower settings on the incline, my shoulder and back injuries went 100% away. If you can find or make something like that for yourself, I would highly recommend it. It is a very low impact high return exercise device. The other obvious benefit is I now have the body of an Adonis. Ok, maybe the latter isn't true.

10. Destro

Destro Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My son was having difficulty with the poundage on his bow and I took an exercise band I had and tied it in a loop. He then similated the drawing motion in order to strengthen the specific muscles. You could try that.

11. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say this would be the best advice I would give someone.......first know what the problem is specifically....have it checked by ur Dr......then developed and good warmup usind dynamic exercises for the rotator cuff and mid to lower traps......after that use resistance bands and light weight dumbbells to strengthen that area.......also developed a good stretching program for use after exercise and before bed and when u wake up......

If you want more specifics pm me on here and I can give you a better detailed program.......

Btw...forgot to mention....my career is in personal training and performance enhancement.....forgot to mention that in the beginning

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

12. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Our smaller animals will drop with 45# easily, but eland who have a dress weight larger than cattle need a bit more poundage.

I've rested my shoulders and been rubbing them with deep heat. Tomorrow I'll start with some strength. What sort off stretches do you do before you shoot. Archery is the only sport I don't stretch for.

13. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Before exercise or shooting you should do some dynamic stretches.....these differ from their static (pause and hold) counterparts. Dynamic stretches are stretching in movement. Such as arm circles windmills ytws and l lateral rotations. I am going to post a thread soon that will describe what each of these movements are with pictures to help illustrate . for now just make sure that you do arm circles both big and small forward moving and rearward and this should help to loosen the muscles are shooting. Then after make sure to stretch them in the old fashioned pause and hold method.

14. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I look forward to your article.
    We did a lot of dynamic stretches in my rugby days.

15. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Those would be similar just make sure that you are warming up specifically the muscles in the shoulders and upper back

16. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I get onto my pc I'll pm you our rugby and tabatha stretches. Just as a reference what we do in south Africa

17. M0NST3R

M0NST3R Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good

18. john128652001

john128652001 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Albany, NY living with the Yankees but from N.C.
    I had a very similar situation with shoulder problems from an injury. I was shooting an old 70 lb 50% let off Jennings that I bought in the late 70's or early 80's? I loved that bow but couldn't shoot it any more without struggling and I had no hold time to place a shot and kept re injuring my shoulder. So be carefull not to to keep re injuring your shoulder and back your poundage down if you can.
    As cheap as I am, I broke down and bought a new bow at 50 to 60 lbs. with 80% let off and I'm shooting at 50 lbs. and working my way up to 60 lbs. slowly. These crazy kids have everything today! 80% let off !!! I shoot 24 arrows at least every day with no pain and I actually think it's making my shoulder better. 80% let off is like holding air for me! My accuracy came back and I almost feel young again.
    So back your poundage down if you can and slowly work back up to it.
    My theory and experience is that if 50 lbs. won't take it down your just going to piss it off and you better have a back up plan. It's called a rifle.

19. snowbeast

snowbeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone and bought an infinite edge arriving Monday. Set at 45# coupled with a gym program. I'm going to keep my dream season tho.