Duck Hunting Gear

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Chris1982, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Over the next couple of months I plan on accumulating the gear I need to duck hunt next year. The problem is I have no duck hunting experience, that being said I don't want to spend a fortune my first year doing it. I have a good shotgun and an aluminum boat to access backwater areas, other than that I'm looking for advice on decoys, calls, and anything else I might need. Also, I will have to duck hunt public land, what do I do about a blind ? Thanks for any input.

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im in the same boat as you so i don't know too much. You should probably get a good pair of neoprene waders to start with. You also can get brush and brush in your boat and turn it to a blind. I would say get as many decoys as you can and get multi-species decoys because you never know whats going to come in. I hear good things about the duck commander calls but do your research on the calls to get the right on for you.

3. realtree08

realtree08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also get a bag for your shells.. Keeps them handy and all in one place. It's also a good place to put your calls when your not using them, and extra choke tubes and anything else you don't want lost or wet.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started with cheaper zink calls. The power hen 2 was a great starter. I've had issues with commander calls not working. Their customer service came around, but it took way too long and it still ended up costing me more money.

I would definitely get a set of waders. Those are key.

Decoys, I use storm front because there is a flambeau store down the road and I can get them cheap from there. I would hit up the box chain stores as a lot of their stuff is going on clearance right now. Also check craigslist, however, i've found these go crazy quick.

Of course duck hunting is starting to explode a lot like all hunting. Where I live it's hard to find gear since I'm not in the heart of a flyway. You may have more luck.

macksprariewings.com is a good site with cheap gear.

5. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First thing id buy is waders. Cabelas super mag 1600 are the best IMO. You can get decoys from really cheap to really expensive. I use G&H (they are made in OK) not far from my house. If it wasnt for that id prob be using Dakota deeks. Things look crazy real!

Out of all of my calls expensive an cheap the one that works the best for me is caller a yenson(sp) by sure shot game calls. It was 35$ vs several calls that I have for 100-150$. Wouldn't trade anything for it.

Good luck it addicting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

6. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off is a good set of waders. I don't know how cold it gets in Louisiana so base your thinsulate on that.

Decoys - I started out with GHG hot buys. Paint holds up really well and they are cheap brand new. They are not overly large but they got the job done for me no problem. You do not need dozens and dozens. 95% of the year I use 2 dozen or less.

Calls - 90% of the time if you do your homework, you do not even need a duck call. Be where the ducks want to be and a dozen decoys and a good hide is all you will need. With that being said, I would pick up a cheaper call and learn how to quack. That's all you need. Waaaay too many guys out there think they need to throw every note they know at a duck; not necessary and will hurt you more often then not. Geese is usually a different story.

As far as a blind, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can, ditch your boat once you get there and hide in the cattails, grass, trees (whatever the cover is). Here is the key to having good waders.

Craigslist is a good place for used decoys or calls. Rogers sporting goods is where I get a lot of my waterfowl hunting equipment.

Most importantly, scout scout scout!!

7. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned before waders are a must! I use some repainted decoys that are pretty old but I still kill ducks over them. I also use some mid price decoys. I personally use a buck gardner reactor for most of my calling and it works great! You don't really need a blind like mentioned above. Just use natural vegetation! Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

8. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So far I'm gathering that high quality waders are important. I'll start checking bass pro shops for sales on decoys. I'm going to try constructing a blind for the boat, if that doesn't work out well I will just plan on hiding it by the banks with a camo net over it. I think calls are going to be my toughest/riskiest decisions to make on this.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    RNT calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Zink, RNT and Foiles make pretty good lower end calls.

Gander Valley Custom Calls and C&S Custom Calls are my go to higher end calls.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk