Front & Side Stabilers and Thumb Style Releases in Hunting Situations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bodenjerryj, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting since I could walk and bowhunting shortly after. I have been shooting a wrist strap style release and am wanting to switch to a thumb style. Also I just recently bought a new mathews Helium and want to concentrate on relearning my shooting form. I have always shot a stabilizer and liked the advantages they offer.
    My questions are does adding a longer front stabilier (10") and a side stabilizer really improve shooting groups and consistency? Also does this setup cause any problems while in actual hunting situations. What brands/types of front & side stabilizers work well while hunting?
    Also is there much difficulty switching from a wrist style release to a thumb style release? I like the idea of having my hands free from the release while sitting in the tree self-filming.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thumb release may be a bit awkward at first but you will adapt, as for front and side bars I am running an 8 inch stokerized hunter and an ss1 combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried several brands of thumb releases and thought they were all well made and high quality. That being said I just couldn't get used to them for whatever reason I don't know but I really wanted to like them but just never got comfortable with any of them and gave them each a pretty long tryout period. I don't think it was the releases I think it was just me so I guess it boils down to personal preference and the only way to know is to try some out. I'll be sticking to the wrist release although if you find a thumb release you like I would be interested to know what you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I like the idea of a thumb release and have a couple buddies that have made the switch to them, I'm going to give it a try.

5. Backstrap

Backstrap Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a truball boss x thumb release after years with a strap! My bow is easier to draw and I am much more accurate! I think taking the trigger finger out of play, has helped with a flinch problem I acquired! It does take some time to get your anchor down, but when you do it is amazing the difference it makes!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb style last year and don’t see myself going back. It takes a min to get use to but then once you get it you will fall in love. As far as running a side bar I played around with it a little bit due to me cambering my bow to one side. They help with balancing things out. I run a 10in b-stinger sport hunter in the front then had a 8in b-stinger sport hunter for side bar. But my new bow and they have the offset far enough over I don’t have a problem with tilting my bow. I am trying to sell the 8in with the side bar bracket, all you would need is a front stabilizer. I am also selling my tru fire hard core 4 finger release if interested in either.

7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my thumb release!

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Price on the side bar and bracket?

9. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    around $110 brand new $70 sound ok?, both are like brand new bought them around christmas time. Can take pics when I get home if you would like

10. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I might be interested in also in them. Take pics of them and the release please.

11. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I will post them when I get home

12. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    They come with three weights, there is only two on there right now but I have the 3rd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It come with a rope sling to put around your wrist and I have that still

13. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Vaporize!

14. Aralbright25

Aralbright25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to shooting and tried a bunch of releases and the most comfortable natural feeling one to me was the truball max hunter. I really liked the push forward thumb trigger it just felt right to me and there's an option to put a wrist strap on it.