Wisconsin bans baiting/mineral in top 3 harvest counties!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PSEREVENGEMAN, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right right, and like I said I wasn't saying I agree one way or another - but I will say that I agree with following the law. I was moreso playing devils advocate here since the topic seemed to be leaning that way.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two acres is a piece of ground that's 100 feet wide by nearly three football fields long. If I am hunting with a bow, that takes away a huge percentage of that field for shot opportunities. I know that when I dump a pile of corn in the summer, I can get nearly every deer that enters that field to at least come take a nibble or sniff. I guess I would like my chances better with the latter, if it were legal. I have had too much first hand experience with it to be persuaded otherwise.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In reality, hunting a two acre plot means hunting one of 2-3 entry points and with any amount of scouting you can determine which way a buck is coming from. They are also not on pins and needles as they always seem to be with bait piles. That's why I've switched my methods to small plots instead of bait, I find it easier (and cheaper to maintain). Everyone likely has different experiences depending on the property they hunt.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think baiting & food plots are pretty much the same at bringing deer to a desired location. I think food plots give you a better % at shooting a deer. I feel the amount of deer drawn to a food plot is greater than a bait site. Pressure can be controlled better at a food plot. A corn (and others) site adds months of cover that a bait site lacks. I think hunting over bait could be productive, but I would choose a food plot.

5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe in some plots. I have not seen one around here that has only two or three entry points. I would assume the topography would have a lot to do with that. But, I have a three acre plot of clover that has no fewer than 9 trails coming and going from it. I have others that have no trials, just random coming and going. Our deer are never nervous around bait, but we cant hunt bait so that makes sense. The deer I watched in Texas definitely did not hesitate coming to the bait and seemed to be completely relaxed. Again, I am sure each situation is different.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that's why hunting is so awesome, you can hunt the same exact deer species using the same technique and results will vary across the board depending on location. I've sat small plots that seemingly have no rhyme or reason to deer movement as well like you pointed out. I like using dead falls to deter certain entrances when possible (owned vs leased land) Baiting and smaller kill plots are definitely easier than NOT using them. Which one works best varies state to state, county to county, even down to farm to farm.

7. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt 62B. Private property. The only thing that bothers me about baiting ban is that people wont abide by it. I know for a fact that i'll have to turn in my neighbor because I know he will be dumping bait. For myself it sucks because even though I do foodplots they dont get attracted to the camera. With minerals they are dead center in front so you can get an inventory. With food plots they can be on the other side of a half acre plot and not even get on camera. I also dont get why the state of Iowa can do whatever as long as they dont hunt over it. You cant tell me that there isnt CWD in Iowa. Also when EHD arrived and they discovered it came from mites around stagnant water they didnt go out and ban watering holes, or man made ponds...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Only case was in a shooting preserve in Davis County. The deer had been brought in. So, no there has not been an issue with CWD in the wild deer herd in Iowa. To regulate water sources in livestock country would be impossible and futile.

9. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Goodluck defining a foodplot/waterhole/pond legally. I have 3 waterholes and 2 ponds I put in 62b decades ago.. The ponds drain into my 200 acre cedar swamp which is all ankle deep stagnant water. Where did that mite breed again?