Steel building homes / Barndominiums / Shouse

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by iHunt, Feb 16, 2014.

1. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wondering about that. I have also heard that spray foam could cause the tin to rust out in the long run if any water gets in there, because the spray foam will trap it there. It doesn't really sound like there is any sure fire way to prevent rusting from happening, so I think the spray foam will be the best route.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Call Lee and Tiffany. That's what they live in. They seem to do alright with it.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why I didn't think about that, I'll just scroll through my contacts list and call Lee up :lol:

I think if I had his number, he would block my calls after about the 100th time asking to come hunt

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

I would imagine it would depend on if it's closed cell or open cell foam. I'm not familiar with metal buildings as homes, so I have trouble envisioning the insulation process. I know you want the home to be able to breathe. Balancing water from getting in, but providing a good solution for it to escape when it needs to. I don't think you would want closed cell foam on the interior walls in your climate, though.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From my understanding, if you use spray foam insulation, you would spray the entire shell, roof and all. I have blown in wet cellulose insulation. They insulated the walls first, then once I had the drywall up, they came back and blew it onto the ceiling. This will allow the house to "breathe". I wouldn't thing you would want it sealed up tight as a drum because you would get all sorts of condensation. I'm not an expert though.

6. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My mom and stepdad currently live in the barn on the left. It's awesome. They have parts of it framed off inside. Full kitchen, bath, etc. Its all temporary while they are building the house. Once the house is built they will take out all the appliances, cabinets, etc, and sell them, and the barn will become a garage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392686460.539844.jpg

7. marylouturney

marylouturney Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A Steel Building as your first home is a great choice. They are absolutely eco-friendly and also not much expensive. It would surely be a cool and cozy place for you and your girlfriend to live in. Steel Buildings Colorado can help you determine the pricing of the kits as well as assist you in the design process too.