What arrows are best for me

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mckaax, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my creed xs pulling 65# at 29" draw. What arrows do you recommend

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Axis 9.5 GPI 340s

3. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't 9.5 heavy?

4. Whitetail_Guy

Whitetail_Guy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    are you hunting or target shooting? if your hunting you want it heavy for penetration. if you target shooting probably not so much.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot what shoots best out of the bow. I know that sounds vague but, it is what it is.

It took me a lot of arrows to find ones I liked and honestly it's what you like just about as much as the bow. I shot that particular arrow for nearly 2 years. Im now changing because they weren't as tough as I'd liked.

I like to start with a 340 spine and go from there. I'm a 29" draw and for hunting I shoot 62lb. I like an arrow around 400-450 grains. I have been shooting a little lighter than that with a mechanical and it has worked out OK so far. Next season I'll be bumping up my weight back in the 420 range. With my specs ill gain a little on the KE side while still staying plenty fast. In a hunting situation a slightly heavier arrow is affected less by the wind and carries its momentum a little more. There is a fine balance between speed, KE an momentum.

As for target, I'll be going light. Around 330-340 grains. That's so I can drop my draw weight to 55lb and still be breaking 290fps. A fast arrow comes in handy when judging yardages and shooting foam. You don't have to blow through an animal to hit a 12 ring.

If you can afford it and can fin a shop that will sell 3 arrows, buy 3 of different kinds and try them out. Don't buy less than three though. If you can't then Lancaster Archery Supply sales them individually.

This guy keeps pushing Easton Axis. I honestly hated how they performed. I know some hate them and some love them. Different strokes for different folks bud. Whatever you do, research the arrow and don't just buy something because someone else said its the best for them.

6. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Adding, yes it is a bit heavy for your setup but a good option. I shoot them with 70/29.

My top 3
    Injexions
    FMJ
    Axis

All Easton Arrows.

7. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Your definately gonna need a 340/350 spine, as for me i love the GoldTip Velocity 400 (7.4 gpi), and the Black Eagle Carnivores 350 (7.5 gpi), but thats just what flies good for me.. Check a bunch out and remember, dont just use an arrow bc it looks cool!

2011 Destroyer350 27" DL @64lbs, QAD Ultra-rest HDX, HHA Optimizer Lite 5519 sight, 6" Bee-Stinger, Gold Tip Velocity XT 400spine, Grim Reaper 1 3/4 cut 100gr

8. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And a 400+ grain arrow is not a necessity for hunting, my finished arrows are 330-350 grains @ 310ish fps and i still get right around 70ft.lbs. and i have yet to have a penetration issue (shoulder blades and all)

2011 Destroyer350 27" DL @64lbs, QAD Ultra-rest HDX, HHA Optimizer Lite 5519 sight, 6" Bee-Stinger, Gold Tip Velocity XT 400spine, Grim Reaper 1 3/4 cut 100gr

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start by asking whats your budget and what are you doing with them? hunting/target etc..