Land Management

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IAMIKE, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those cams are tempting.. I try to go 2-3 weeks between checking lol.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to get to mine every week and I don't notice any pressure on the deer from that. I generally have deer come in about thirty minutes behind me, proof is on the cameras, lol. I think they listen for the ATV in anticipation of a pile of grain and mineral. This is where I depart a little from the common thought of low pressure, the term "pressure" is relative. I prefer they get used to encountering a little of my scent over the year so they aren't so spooked by it all at once during season. I believe deer learn the difference between a profound threat and a general concern.

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This has turned into one of the better and more informative threads I've come across here in a while. Everyone has made some really good points! I'll go back and agree that the most important thing to do as an individual land owner Is to establish personal goals for your hunting property and base your management plan off that.

I'm blessed in the fact that my wife's grandfather is the largest landowner here in our county with over 4000 acres. I've got access to more hunting ground than I can ever scout or truly get familiar with. The area I've chosen to manage is my backyard and consist of a little over 320 acres. Four years ago when I decided to actually put together a plan I had lots of outsiders telling me I needed to pass on everything under 200". That was crazy, and very far from my personal goals. I'd be miserable trying to adhere to such a ridiculous "plan". Instead I decided to improve the basic needs of a deer herd by providing more and better food, water, and cover. I also have gotten involved in predator control to help fawn survival rates. Monster raxx mineral sites have also played a huge part on improving the quality of my deer herd. That coupled with thinning out the does and only shooting 4.5 year olds or older and I think I've made this half section I'm on better than any other piece of ground near me. This goes back to the quality vs. Quantity statements previously made. It's not about the amount of land you have, it's about the amount of land you can successfully improve and implement your plan on.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great thread!

We have 211 acres in SE Indiana. For any of you familiar with that area the terrain is really hilly and can be a challenge. We have had it for about 6 yrs now but I have never been in a position to really do much with it until the past 2 years. We started planting some small kill plots last year and this year we have purchased a new Kubota with a tiller and we plan on making some larger plots since the nearest AG field is a couple miles away. The problem we have is our property is really hilly and these steep hills make it hard to access certain parts of it. Usually when we hunt these areas they are all day sits and we don't hunt them without help available because if you get a deer you will need all the help you can get just to get it out.

Last year I decided that I needed to get three basic things done by this years hunting season and so far I am on track. the three things are define a Sanctuary, establish a larger food plot for year round support, and establish mineral sites. Since my property is almost broken up in 3 sections because of the steep ridges it was pretty easy to figure out a sanctuary area just from the fact that we don't make it to our back 40 that often. As far as the main section of property it has a nice 2 acre pasture (previous owner had horses) that is right in the middle of the woods on top of a ridge that is perfect for a large plot. we plan on splitting it into two plots half clover and half fall brassicas. We also have 2 smaller pastures that run along our dead end road that we will plant as well and maybe also plant some screens between them and the road. As for the mineral sites I plan on trying out Monster Raxx to see what the hype is all about. I am thinking 4-5 sites across the property.

So as of now I am doing pretty good achieving my goals. I think as I read more about hinge cutting that will be my next project along with some management goals to keep our Turkeys happy. There is always something that can be done to improve your property and I am enjoying every minute of it.

5. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Henson, This spring plant some Norway spruce seedlings for thermal bedding(1-5 acre plots) and put in waterhole tanks if water is not prevalent. Those 2 items by far made a huge difference in my property.

6. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We actually already have 4 ponds on the property and the Back 40 that is out sanctuary already is full of spruce trees but I could probably use some more. Part of the main section or out property was logged about 15-20 yrs ago so in some areas the trees are still fairly young and the undergrowth is pretty thick. If I get a chance maybe I can get an a pic of the property posted

We hold a lot of does and young bucks on your property. This summer I had 5 different set of Does that had twins as well.