Pro Staff

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lester, Jan 29, 2014.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being on a pro staff should never be viewed as a credit to a guy, but it should never be used to discredit him either. Many only prostaff for companies they have used for a while or have a personal relationship with the owner. Others just attempt to use their success to get discounted/free gear. Others truly believe in the product.

Bottom line, their position is to promote a product. I've passed on opportunities to prostaff up until now just because I don't want it shaping anyone's opinion of who I am (good or bad).

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am only on the Monster Raxx pro staff. I don't really have any interest in being part of any other staffs, to be honest. I am part of the Monster Raxx staff because Tom asked me if I would like to, and I truly believe that the product works and that Tom is a good guy. I would be buying the mineral anyways, so I might as well be part of it :tu:

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I was on a "staff" once where all I had to do was submit an app and explain my archery experience and how I would promote the product. I got a small discount, but never used it. Backed out after a year, because frankly, I like to try different products out, and I really like to make up my own mind.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that most are only getting discounts. I was just stating my opinion. If you are on a prostaff and like the products then it is a good deal for you.

6. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky enough to have 5 great sponsors for hunting and 11 for fishing. Me personally I won't endorse what I don't use and like. If a company's product sucks then they can keep it. I get to test items before they hit the market and provide my feedback on them. So I actually have input on what I use. Not everything but a lot of things. I'm very loyal to my first companies that gave me a shot and sponsored me when no one else would. I get approached by other companies now with similar products that I'm sure work the same or may be better and even offer me a better deal but loyalty in this business is hard to find. I stand by my word and I'm with my sponsors until they will no longer have me as a part of their team.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

7. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For most pro staff, I would imagine that most wouldn't represent a product they thought was garbage. However, I would have no problem being a pro staffer just to get discounts on recognized, tested, brands. I would absolutely change some of my equipment to get discounts of good brand names. Who doesn't like getting new equipment? Bowhunters, IMO, are some of the craziest gear heads in comparison to other hunters or sports.

I shoot a bear bow. If Hoyt, Bowtech, or Matthews wanted to give me discounts on their bows to shoot their bow I would have no problem taking that discount. I absolutely love my bow and it works fine. I'm sure the others would also work well. If that is selling out. I'm okay with that.

This site is where I believe you can get a lot of good information in regards to honest reviews. Now, the site is obviously hooked up with Matthews, NAP, and Lone Wolf to name a few that are constantly put at the top of must haves. Are they pushing the product because it is the best product or are they marketing? I believe it is both. I've purchased several NAP products mainly from what I've learned on this site about their products. Some were probably pro staffers and others were not.

I've never tried to be a pro staffer, but I'm open to suggestions if people want to give me discounts. Seems most that have commented are completely against that to protect their word or soul. I don't look at pro staffers as liars, but I also realize they are representing a company. Different levels of pro staffers are out there. Meaning some get to test and have input.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say to protect my word or soul, just to protect my image. I like trying out different gear and don't want my name attached to one particular company because I get a discount on their product. Everyone is different though. I don't look up to prostaffers, but I certainly don't look down on them either. I'd say most are good honest people who just wanted a discount on gear, which is great. Their reviews of the gear are great too. The problem comes when pro staffers begin comparing or ranking gear. Odds are, most haven't even tried the other brands because they have been receiving their brand for free or discounted prices.

9. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with the ranking comment. If you are being compensated or paid to use a product you should be nowhere near any comparisons of other products. Soul might have been too strong of a word. Ha

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

10. the g1

the g1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is where the consumer fails to use common sense. Just think how many companies would fail if it were not for these dumb consumers.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great, great subjugate your opinions because of a discount...not even compensation. that sure doesnt lend it's self into having any confidence is a pro staffer "promotion " of a product or brand....
    Here's an idea ..wait for a sale if you want pay less for a product and be your own person with your own opinions without having it tainted buy something like as trivial as a " discount".

12. Treestandwolf

Treestandwolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think and hope it would be common sense, especially if a hunter has some years under his belt, that he wouldn't represent or " promote " a product that is bad.

A company breaking into the industry might take the " anyone " route and offer little or no discount, but the established companies who have a vision will not, and those are the companies who will succeed.

The company wants to make money , be successful and the best way is surround yourself with good people. Getting a discount is good, like many others said, If you use and believe in the product.

There is a difference in being used and appreciated, just be smart about it.

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is sad so many just want to be on a pro staff they dont care what it is they are promoting. Seems like people think if you get on a pro staff, you will be on tv and all your friends will be jealous. So it does make it hard to believe what some of them say unfortunately. I am on PA Bowhunting's pro staff, a start up internet show with no videos or sponsors yet. Im not in it for fame, for money, or to make it in this industry. If that happens, I wont turn it down haha, but thats not why Im in it. The guy who started it is an awesome guy, around my age, we get along great, and I love the opportunity to help him out, as well as hopefully teaching other hunters a thing or 2. Anything extra is an awesome bonus.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There are kids around here who's only goal in life is to be Micheal Waddell or Chris Brackett. They send letters and emails to every company under the sun asking for "sponsers". They even have invited shows out to hunt there land for free (and sometimes they do come).

I find it extremely annoying. I'm not in any way trying to knock there dreams, I would just prefer to not hear them open there mouths about there latest and greatest (and oftentimes conflicting) sponsor.

Not to mention all the bad that comes with having your area on television (we already have a farm down the street being leased by a group because of it).

Some might call me a sour puss...I just don't want to see my hometown change like that. Call me a traditionalist.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I know exactly what you mean. Any of you know who Fred Zink is?

Anyways, was at a waterfowl expo in Cabela's two years ago and talked to some of Zink's guys. Told them we were hunting the closest fields to the refuge, mile or so closer than anyone else was or could hunt. He got our numbers and we talked to Zink a week or so later. After contemplating him coming up (they said they would bring all the gear and video tape all the hunts for their DVDs) we decided we didn't need or want that kind of publicity to that area. Sure would have been cool but I didn't want it to be a few times a year thing and then have local guides bugging the landowners about pits, permission, etc.,.

16. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sour puss will do. LOL just kidding I agree with what you are saying. The land around our old farm in S. IL is being over run with guys trying to make tv shows or out of state guys who heard some good bucks are being taken from the area all because it was on a show.

17. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think people understand what it takes to be "the next Michael Waddell" or Lee and Tiffany.
    Also, I don't think people want to be them as much as they think they do.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I've met Grossenbacher and he's a Zink guy. Very nice, he's actually from around me I believe.

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    This x a million.

20. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Is It wrong to not like these guys or the attention? Of course.

But one day, I fear my farm might be the only one left that I don't have to pay in order to hunt. And that's a sad reality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk