wireless mic

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by timcon, Jan 25, 2014.

1. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First season of filming my bowhunts is behind me now ...even got a nice buck while self filming ... I have a sony nx70u .. the shotgun mic works & picks up great .. but thinking about lavaliere mics for shooter & cameraman .. the camera has 2 XLR ports .. is it possible to run 3 mics ? ... or does anyone even do that ? ... what would make a good mic for that particular camera ..? what do I want to stay away from..?
    Thanks for any & all advice

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on your budget and needs, there are a ton of wireless mic options out there. I'm putting some serious thought into picking up a SmartLav from Rode. They're around $60 and with an app, turn your smartphone into a wireless lavalier mic.

There's a free and paid app (~$6-10 I think). It should work just fine for in tree interviews & recovery work. You'd have to add the audio in post though.

Rode Rode smartLav Lavalier Condenser Microphone SMARTLAV B&H

[​IMG]

3. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's a free and paid app (~$6-10 I think). It should work just fine for in tree interviews & recovery work. You'd have to add the audio in post though.

What is the name of the app ? I cant seem to find it on a app search on my iPhone

4. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    found it .. "Rode Rec" $5.99 ... but has bad reviews ... about crashes & loosing recordings ..! ....

5. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna try one out .. found lots of good reviews on Youtube about the set-up .. I downloaded the app & tried it out with a regular iPhone ear-bud /mic combo ... I was impressed ! transferred a clip to my desktop .. imported into video editing software .. Everything seems to work fine ..
    I found the Rode SmartLave on ebay for $50 New on a "make offer " posting ... seems like it will be great for the in-tree stuff & interviews ... I'll soon find out ..
    Thanks

6. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I have, and it does just fine for the audio. It uses the 3.5 mm 1/8" audio jack. Looks like your camera has 2 XLR's and one 3.5mm jack input. It's a pretty inexpensive setup, and does the job. Only drawback I have with it, is it uses 9V batteries, and they don't last too long. I usually got about 10 sits out of a set up them.

Azden WLX Pro Wireless Lavalier Mic System WLX-PRO B&H Photo

8. MaxAkerman

MaxAkerman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I run the audio technic 288 wireless set up, the most bang for 130$ in my opinion, works good for interviews and close action. just be sure you keep ontop of your batteries otherwise it will start getting pops and hums. it is a mini-plug mic, however you can get a mini-plug to xlr female adapter cord for cheap. I run canon xha1's and that is what I do so I can run a shotgun and wireless.

9. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the exact same camera as you and I run the shotgun mic from one port and a Samson wireless mic from the second. It has worked really well for my first year using it. The only issues I've had is needing 9volt batteries after every couple hunts. I haven't tried to do any audio specifically for the cameraman, but have noticed that most of their conversation will be picked up through the shotgun mic or our second angle camera. I haven't tried to edit any of the audio yet. Hope this helps.

Here is the mic I have:
    Samson Wireless Mic UM1-77 It is $219 from Campbells. Samson Wireless Mic UM1-77

10. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That was some nice work on filming your hunt!

11. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz, when or if you do get it, would you be willing to do a demo video and share it with us? I've been looking into this as well but didnt want to be the first guy out the shoot!!!!

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sure thing. Once I get my camera, I plan on doing a ton of review/how to videos :tu: