Kid Carrier Backpacks?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have experience with these types of backpacks that you can put a kid in for hiking?

I'm planning on doing some exploring and learning lots of new land this spring. My son will also be old enough to start getting out with me at that point. It will be good for him to get out, and I can absolutely use the exercise......so I want to get something like this that will make it easy for me to pack him.

Anyone have recommendations or thoughts on packs that are nice? The little experience I have with heavy packs has shown me that the nicest packs really make carrying a load much easier. I want to make sure I'm not going to spend $$$ on something I'm going to hate..........

This is the one that keeps popping up when I google kid carrier backpacks.

Kelty Junction 2.0 Kid Carrier : Cabela's

2. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the earlier model of this pack - got it when my 13 year old was born. It was awesome. We took this pack on vacation with us, and skipped taking the stroller and the diaper bag. On my older model the bag was detachable, so we could take it off if needed, or if we were at a restaurant or something. Big enough to carry all you'd need. Makes it a lot easier to negotiate obstacles, hiking trails and historical sites where you can't really take a wheeled stroller. I HIGHLY recommend pack carriers. Both of my kids loved them. Put them in there and start walking, it's like rocking them to sleep. Only hazard is if they drool down your back. I know.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been years since we used one. We used to take our kids out riding with us. And no kidding, they would fall asleep quite often. How old is your child? Still using a bottle? Is so, you might want to consider the type with the grip hole. That way you can tie the bottle to the pack in case the kid drops it.

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had one of the front carriers when my oldest was a baby. Nothing to add other than that... Glad to hear you will be taking the kiddo afield with you.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Scott.

I couldn't for the life of me get him to be happy in the front carrier. The darn thing cost a pile of $$$ too. Now that I think about it, I'm going to list it for sale soon, paid $150ish for it. If anyone reading has interest in one send me a PM I'm sure we can find a good price that your happy with for it.

6. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That Kelty looks like a nice pack. Carrying my daughter behind me kind of scares me though. She likes a front carrier and i figure if i fall i can at least catch myself.

7. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only advice I got is............Make sure you duck low enough when going under limbs.

Don't ask how I know this. :busted: She still turned out ok!

8. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: