Lone Wolf Stick guys please chime in!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about getting lone wolf sticks for a while now. Can you think of any cons of Lone Wolf Sticks compared to others you've seen out there? DO they sit solid once they're set ? How's the grip on the actual step in rainy or icy conditions? Are there ANY even the most minute problems that you've encountered with them?

2. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    they are a bit smaller in overall size while climbing compared to convetional climbing stick, but then again they are maee to be exactly that.

only real issue i have had with them is the the last footpeg tore a whole in my muck boot when i thought i should jump down instead of gently step down. they were great for me since i started using them the last fee weeks of the season... i got a bunch of practice with them since i was setting the up and taking them down 2 and 3 times each day. if i had to pick a real complaint it would be yhey are not double sided foot pegs like some... but that adds weight.

3. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you find it uncomfortable to have one foot up and the other down as you were setting up the next stick?

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm love my LW sticks.only complaint is 1 sided steps but not that big of a deal. I'm never uncomfortable setting them up due to having my feet at different heights. As long as u set the to the tree and put on the initial weight to set them they don't move. In fact, while I'm taking them down they usually stay attached to the tree without the strap. I've never been more impressed.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really like them. They sit solid on the tree and are quiet as can be. Haven't had icing issues but if I did, being one sided, I could just flip the step over and use the other side :tu:

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using LW sticks for about 9 years now and honestly don't have a single complaint about them. They secure easily to the tree and provided you put them on and seat them properly they're rock solid. For what they are designed to do, which is be light, mobile and versatile they work impeccably.

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really like them. I've had both Muddy and Lone Wolf's and prefer the Lone Wolfs. They are lighter and because they are longer there isn't a tree you can't get high enough in on the planet with only 4 sticks. I felt like I needed 5-6 Muddy's to get the same height, plus the muddy's were heavier when you had enough to get to equal height. The only thing I prefer on other brand sticks is the attachment system on the Muddy's is really nice. Not nice enough though to make it better than Lone Wolf.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set LW and and I have both Muddy 32" and 20"
    I prefer the Muddy on all counts. I even attached the Muddy rope system to my LW sticks and also added it my 32" Muddy s. The attachment is hands down quieter and slightly faster. The biggest plus for the Muddy over the LW is the double sided steps. One less thing to be looking for climbing up and down in the dark...not having to look down and see what side the step is on is big plus. This also comes into play when you hanging your stand...You not trying to balance yourself at two different heights.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had this problem. The top step is always on the opposite side of the stick from my platform, and well... the rest I don't need to see, because I don't use the same leg twice in a row. :tu:

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You may find it helpful to stand level when your either adjusting your lifeline or your lineman strap and like i pointed out hanging the stand..... I really admire your agility BTW

11. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Throw the strap around the tree, pull it tight, pull down stick to bite into tree and they are rock solid. Used them during snow/rain and the steps were not slippery. My stand and steps were frozen to the tree. Literally. I pulled the straps off the buttons and had to peel the straps off the tree and then pull the sticks off. It was a brutal afternoon and my stick and stand performed flawlessly. I did not exsperiance any slippage on the steps or the bracket. Steps on both sides would be nice but IMO its not a big deal. I always thought the cam/rope system would be nice but I feel safer with the straps. It's just as fast and just as easy. I love my LW set up just as it is.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like mine and can only add that there are a few trees with loose bark (e.g. Shagbark hickory) or really hard wood that they don't grip into, but this would be true of any stick. Also, if you reset your stand each trip and set it above your top stick standing on one foot can be a bit awkward--it's a bad practice anyway.

I like my sticks, and have no regrets. I did buy some extension straps for some super big Oaks (> 6' circumfrence) that I intend to set on next year.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Fitz and Justin. No complaints at all.

14. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much everything he said. I want two sides on my sticks.