Had to pull a gun on someone

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pastorjim08, Jan 21, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Goodness Nick, I don't know what to say. I am very sorry to hear about your son. Having three kids of my own I cannot imagine how hard that was and still is.....take care.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! We are gonna be offering it at our shop/range and I plan on taking it myself and selling it to as many patrons as possible!

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't call it fixing though...blowing up my truck with tnt wouldn't fix the tranny from sticking :)

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am so sorry for the loss of your son Nick. I cannot even begin to understand your pain. We all think we know what we would do in those circumstances but until you have been to the "moment of truth", most don't. You sir, have endured something no parent should have to endure. I cannot blame you one bit for feeling as you do. I hope you are never put in a position to where you would have to make that decision. You would certainly be more than justified.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Everything you did seems perfectly acceptable to me Jim. Your home is your sanctuary and you have the right to protect yourself and your family.

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think "D" here is the important part. Though one could not fault you for taking action against an intruder, is taking his life for being a drunken idiot worth it?

I can easily say, "I'd put 2 in him before he could enter the door frame". Realistically, I'm moving my family to safe location and standing gaurd at the door. If he breaks in and he's billigerant drunk, that's a little different. If he comes in holding a gun, then you have to do what you have to do. Again, easier said than done.

I carry my gun everywhere I can. I even carry it to church. The reason I carry is because there some sick people who want to harm innocent people, and I would categorize my family as "innocent people". If someone wants to steal my wallet, so be it. Is getting in an armed confrontation where I could get myself or someone else (not the criminal) killed, is it worth the risk?

It's all very situational. It's great to say you would shoot first and without hesitation, but do you think that's the best method?

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I remember reading about this. If I'm thinking correctly, did the homeowner shoot one and sat in his chair and shot the other as they came down the basement steps? This sounds very familiar to me.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree with requirement D.

That's fine if you want to do it but that mindset is where we get 'duty to retreat' laws and armchair experts second guessing what you could've/should've done.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. You are thinking of the correct story.

The way the police told us, my niece was with a guy who wanted to break into the house... The guy broke in and my niece stayed in the car, or on "look out." After some time and no word my niece went to look for him (he was already dead) and when she got halfway down the steps he shot her twice... and then once under the chin.

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion this was beyond excessive force. The police should have been called before or after the first shooting. This guy sounds like he has some problems. It sounds like the death of your niece could have easily been avoided. Very sorry for the loss of your family member.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you did exactly what you needed to do and what needed to be done. If that was me and they came into the door I would have shot them....probably in the leg...not a head shot. Well...just depended on how threatened I felt....Great Job Sir!

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your not being biased at all. You are being a rational human. Once the threat is neutralized, there is no reason at all to execute them. No reason what-so-ever. At that point, its murder. Simply killing to kill out of anger.

13. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife saw me carry a while back .. she asked if I took it everywhere .. with out hesitation I answers "Yes!!" we have had several break-ins within the last month or so in my small community ... I'd hate to pull in my driveway and see a vehicle I don't recognize and broken glass where the window once was ... and see someone going thru the house or garage... yes there are sick and stupid people out there

14. Granny's Slaughter House

Granny's Slaughter House Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have the Castle Doctorine and I'm not sorry for ANYONE who breaks into my home when I'm there. I have my bedroom door open with my Rottweiler on my bed at night when I'm by myself. There have been a few occasions that she has gotten me up and doing a perimeter while loaded because she was sure she heard something. If someone comes in, they'll meet her first and I'll be following up with a head shot. Don't like it? STAY OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had to once when a PA mountain scrote walked onto our poperty unanounced in the dark looking for beer while we sat around the camp fire. Luckily none of us took aim but he probably needed a clean pair of shorts. He has not come back.

16. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I remember reading that story and thinking the homeowner must have had some issues. Sorry for you loss.