Had to pull a gun on someone

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pastorjim08, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Saw it on facebook, glad your alright sir!

2. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your not a mind reader and you don't know what that other person is thinking or what their intentions are. You worry about you and yours. You have more restraint than most folks I know. That guy would have caught a load of buckshot through most doors here. And yes that's legal here.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most people think the same thing. If I gave the details it would probably change the minds of people.

Excessive force: He shot each of them 3 times, twice in the stomach and once under the chin. He then drug them to his shop, let them lay dead for over 24 hours, before finally going to his neighbor and said he did something bad. Never called the cops.

If that isn't excessive force I don't know what is.

I'm all for protecting your family and home... But there is a fine line that can't be crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. deerslayer15

deerslayer15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That doesn't sound like excessive force for the shooting but he must be a sick bastard to drag them to his shop and let them sit IMHO

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off I am sorry for your loss.

However, I don't call that excessive force. It is a double tap then head shot. People need to think long and hard before they enter someone else's house. In the scenario you described, those two girls entered a guys house who probably PTSD from being robbed before......bad choice.

6. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You both did the right thing, getting the cops coming for a peaceful solution and preparing to defend yourself. I know that I haven't had any experience along those lines, and it's easy to say that I'd do the same, but until you are in that situation, you just can't say. I do know that without a shadow of a doubt, that I will do whatever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The man more than likely did have PTSD from previous incidents. And we're all in agreement that he was trying to protect his home... But you're telling me if an intruder entered your home you would shoot them twice... And while they were down on the ground (unable to move) you would walk up and shoot them execution style? To me that's excessive force.

I know I left out details before... But his audio/video did him in. They were both disabled and did not present him any harm after the two initial shots... Do you guys feel he was right in shooting them again?

That's the only reason I feel it's excessive. I absolutely agree the first two shots were justified. Am I just being biased because of the relation? Just trying to see what others feel. Are there any law enforcement workers here that may be able to weigh in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would tend to agree with you. Once the intruder is disable, then he obviously should have called the police and told his side of the story. His first mistake was wounding the intruders. In all honesty, you shoot to kill when an intruder comes into your home. That's the number one rule our CCW instructor gave us. You don't want that intruder to be able to sue you or testify against you. It's just a sad fact.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I remember hearing about this case. Sorry for you loss.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You handled the situation just as we advise people to do that come through the shop/range. No need like some to go at the guy or anything just because he is causing a disturbance or trespassing...no you contacted authorities and gave fair warning if he breached the door you would shoot. No better way to handle the situation at all! I also have no doubt I would have the same or similar feelings after it being over.

I've yet to have to draw and bring a gun to guard with the real possibility of using it in the near future...hope I never do.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Also forgot to add...you had the best gun fight to have, you didn't have a shot fired. :)

12. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Handled it perfect IMO. And would have handled it perfect if it went further IMO. Not a thing could've been done different. I wouldn't have hesitated a second if he came through the door. You didn't ask to be put in the situation... he created it. You have rights to defend yourself, your home and your family. That trumps a drunk idiot trying to get in your house.

13. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I would have done differently is grab my .45 or Remington 887 Tactical:)

Glad it turned out well and nothing serious happened, you likely saved a lot of money in lawyers fees and learned a great life lesson. Glad everyone is safe and the guys were handled.

14. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is hard to say what you will do until put into the actual situation and "I would have" has to become "I have done". I know from personal experience that when faced with someone who clearly demonstrated his intent to harm myself and my peers, I put a round in him. I was 18 and was shaking so hard that even though I was aiming at the chest, I hit him in the groin. Fortunately, his "friends" all ran like rats deserting a sinking ship, and he lived to face the charges. I went before the incident "Heck yeah I'd shoot them" to "Oh Crap! I'm shooting someone."

15. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PastorJim: you handled it perfectly,sir.
    Mnhunterr: sorry for your loss. I believe that the man did use excessive force, due to the fact he shot them after they were "no harm". However, like already said, the man may have had issues due to other criminals. And killing a person can really destroy someone, even if it was self defense. Perhaps he was really frightened after the event and didn't know what to do. Either way, he did them wrong by "executing" them. I think things would have been different if the first couple rounds would've have ended everything. Sorry you lost a loved one though.

16. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After having a couple of days to process everything, these are the conclusions I have arrived at.

A. I am very happy I didn't have to pull the trigger.

B. While I would have felt bad had I shot the person, I would have felt alot worse had I let someone harm my family.

C. There is a huge difference in carrying a firearm and actually using it in self defense.

D. Every other abenue within the realm of safety should be exhausted before deciding to take it to the next level.

Thanks for all your opinions. There were some very well thought out answers among them.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    This is something some refuse to think about but needs stressed so much these days! Way too many guys come through the shop/range I just know they're first thought process if anything happens is hand to gun. De-escalating a situation if possible, escaping a situation where no possible harm occurs at all and other similar things should always be the first thought of every handgun carrier. We carry as a last resort not as a problem solver or first resort type.

18. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    agreed .. Protecting the Fam is Utmost Importance ! Being Drunk and Ignorant is really of no exception ..

19. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

there is a CC class that tries to teach this ... "Decision Making" and "Stress Awareness" when it becomes available again I'll be signing up for it .. heard from a few people that have been thru it and had positive comments about it ..

20. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a few on here know, my son was shot in MY home by someone stealling MY guns. He died from his injuries,...
    I can without hesitation say, that causing such a disturbance at my home such as PastorJim had to indure would result in dire consiquences. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid.
    Glad it all worked out for you and your family,...