Climber Stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Njbowhunter48, Jan 15, 2014.

1. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for hunting public land I bought the lightest climber (at the time) I could find. I use it extensively ! even on private land when I know I'm gonna be mobile ... it has it's limitations ... many times while scouting, not only are you looking for deer sign, but also straight safe trees.... and the correct diameter ...

2. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. I hunt exclusively from my summit and often find myself hunting the tree rather than the deer. I love my climber, its light, comfortable, and quiet, but I think that having both a hang on and a climber could dramatically improve my chances of getting within bow range of a mature buck. Some spots just dont have straight, climbable trees.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love my summit when I need to be mobile.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt exclusively out of ladder stands right now. I will be getting a Summit Viper SD this offseason because I plan to do a lot of hunting on new public areas. Was scouting last week and found a ton of trees that will work (I think) for a climber. What diameter do you guys look for in trees for a climber?

I for one do not trust myself with hang ons so that isn't an option for me.

5. MrFourBelow

MrFourBelow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't recall the safe small limit... but personally I want a minimum of 9iinch diameter... stright is good .. but if they lean little bit I'll try it .. and absolutely no Hickory trees !! the bark is just to hard and flakey.. I don't usually climb much higher than 12-15 ft ... I have been in a few smaller diameter trees but I get quite discouraged by the "sway" with light winds..

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Depends on the type of tree. Some trees you can get away with smaller if they dig in better.