Tough decision- what do you guys recomend?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RugerRedbone, Jan 18, 2014.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buying a new bow this year. I've been shooting my Hoyt Vulcan for 7 years and am ready for a change. I've shot the new Fackor, the Carbon Spyder and the new Prime. Waiting till the shop gets the Elites in to try them. So far I'm still leaning towards Hoyt but the Prime had a lot I liked as well.

I know only I can decide what is right for me I just wanted some input on the Prime and the Elite from some of yall that have them.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While ur at it shoot the new mathews bow tech pse and every other bow you can get your hands on. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

3. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to shoot the new Bowtech but apparently the shop hasn't been able to get any in. Said that Bowtechs customer service has gotten terrible.. Also the only Mathews dealer local to me is run by a guy I wouldn't give my business to unless he held a gun on me.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Bowtech destroyer 350 I have been hunting with it for three season and have no interest in changing.My fav bow for paper shooting is my maitland Zeus this thing is a work of art.

The elite line up is top notch if I was looking this may be the next bow for me

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just because "the guy" might be a ... do not over look "The Bow". Mathews Bows are worth looking at. However you have to get it. Also if you already like Hoyt the Factor might be your ticket. I can not say as I am currently in a full out love affair with my MR5, but consider and shoot them all if you can. If I ever leave Mathews it would be for PSE. I doubt this will happen anytime soon though. Also I do not base my bow on "some people" .... I buy the best bow I can based on its performance and service ability.

Good Luck!

6. antlers125

antlers125 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First I have to say that any bow you purchase after 7 years on your current will be a drastic change. I've been shooting hoyt for over 20yrs. & decided to try something different 2yrs ago & purchased a Prime. These bows are incredible. The technology makes this bow the easiest to tune I have ever setup. The craftsmanship is flawless. It also improved my accuracy beyond belief. They also come w/ the best warranty in the industry.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to realistically consider anything other than a Hoyt...it would be a Prime. At least at the moment, They have something that's innovative and looks as good as any bow on the market. The double cam design is as functional as it is cool looking.

Mathews would be a few slots down on my list to be honest...probably like #4 or maybe 3.
    1. Hoyt...Spyder, Faktor
    2. Prime...Defy or Alloy
    3. Bowtech...Experience
    4. Mathews...HeliM, Creed
    5. PSE...DNA Dreamseason, or one of the longer BH bows

8. ib_reel

ib_reel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here would be my current top five list to shoot; and I own a Mathews Heli-m
    1. Bowtech RPM
    2. Bowtech Carbon Overdrive
    3. PSE DNA SP
    4. Elite Energy 32
    5. Bear Agenda 6

9. olddognewbie

olddognewbie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can get your hands on them to shoot, (limited amount of dealers ) you should check out the Obsession line. They are putting out some really nice bows. Not to take away anything from the others you mentioned, they are all great bows, but I fell in love with my sniper after test firing every other bow out there. When I am at the local range several others have fired it and are quite amazed at the holdability, and smooth draw. Do yourself a favor and add them to your list to check out along with the others already mentioned. their website has an interractive map of dealers.

10. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the bows everyone has said are very nice and all have there personal pros and cons you just have to do your homework on them and shoot as many as you can before picking one out but what ever you take home will be nice for sure

11. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, do yourself a favor and shoot as many bows as you can. Even go to the guy that you don't like and shoot some of the Mathews bows. If you find one you like, you don't have to buy it from him.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know the Mathews dealer you are talking about. I bought my first Mathews from him and will never go to his shop again. My buddy opened a shop In Cecil county in Elkton. Its called Strut and Rut and he is a Mathews and elite dealer. Very nice guy and its not a far drive from Harford County.

13. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    That double cam is pretty interesting, I just don't know much about the reasons for it. I did however rally like the feel of the Faktor. And couldn't find $500 difference in the Carbon Spyder. Looks cool but to me it felt the same.

14. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    It's a shame isn't it? While I have heard good things about Strut-n-Rut I have been dealing with the guys at Autumn Sky fora long time and whatever I end up buying it will come from there.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Straight from Primes website:
    Parallel Cam

Prime has proven itself as an industry leader in technology and innovation. Prime's success has come from dedication in identifying problems other bow manufacturers have failed to address. This has lead to the introduction of a completely new concept in cam technology: The Parallel Cam System In developing our patent-pending technology, we worked to solve one of the most nagging issues related to accuracy: cam lean. By splitting the string and creating two tracks, we balanced the cam, something no other bow manufacturer has done. Imagine trying to balance on one leg instead of two. That's what our competitors are doing. Parallel Cam is like standing on two legs. It's more stable, making it more accurate. Prime's Parallel Cam gives you consistent accuracy at the moment of truth.
    Prime by G5

I don't think there's that much difference between the Carbon Spyder and the Faktor either except I'm one of the idiots tha twould buy the spyder because it looks cool, lol.

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That Spyder is hideous looking reminds me of the old Kodiaks.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, there previous carbons weren't any lookers ...but the carbon spyder is even worse.
    1400 for a bunch of pushed in bushing ....and ugly as sin.

All Hoyt's non target finishes are pretty dismal truthfully

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Bowtech Destroyer 350 and I go to them for service on that bow. I have always had great service from them and would check out the new Bowtech Bows. I love mine but I was one of customers that had some problems with service directly from bowtech like they told you at the Autumn Sky.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well hey, to each their own...I love the design and think they are the best looking bow on the market for my personal tastes and think Mathews waffle iron patterns are ugly as sin but whatevs. Everyone has different tastes.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We agree!! Don't like the looks of waffle risers at all....I call them Lego bows.