***Team 10 Nocked and Locked***

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Sticknstringarchery, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after fighting pneumonia for a couple weeks, I was finally able to get back out in the woods this morning. Not a lot of movement, but it was a good hunt. Had a small buck chasing a grunt at a doe early on, then had a really nice 2 1/2 year old 9pt buck step out into the bean and feed for a few minutes. He eventually came through the turnip plot and ended up stopping about 10 yards from my stand. He has some real potential. Not real wide, but nice height and had a split brow on his right side. If I hadn't killed my first buck, I would have had a hard time passing him up, but hopefully he will get a chance to grow and be around in a couple years.

I'm taking Monday off work, so if the weather cooperates I should get a morning and evening hunt in. It might be about the last chance I have to get out in the woods, as it seems like we have basketball tournaments for my daughter every weekend.

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My season was over before December. I think I'll keep this up. Last year I had no luck in December and no one in my area has killed anything in a couple weeks. Orange army comes out, deer stay in the dark.

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I pulled my camera chips after my hunt on Saturday morning. I have several shooter bucks that have showed up, and I'm getting daylight pictures of them. Their here because of the food. It's going to be extremely cold tomorrow morning, but I'm going out and I'll see how long I can last.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Skywalker! How you lay down a bruiser.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Get after it Skywalker! One good buck should pretty well… well, I'm not gonna say it. :D

Hope you stick one!

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty good night tonight. I thought I was going to seal the deal on a doe. She came right in to the base of my tree from behind me and spooked a little when she sniffed the bag of Monster Raxx that I had just put out. I just put the bag at the base of my tree, so I could pick it up and take it back up to the house when I was done hunting. She ended up just walking straight away from me, so I never got a shot. I had two small yearling bucks came into range, but nothing else that was a shooter. They were all heading for the beans. Right at last light they just filtered into the beans. I counted at least 10 that I could make out, and I could hear more. Good to know they are enjoying the standing soybeans. Now I just need to get in there and get one to add 50pts to our total and some meat to the freezer. Hopefully I can get a couple more sits before the season ends on January 15th.

7. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Josh!

Well, still looking to take a doe for meat or a nice buck. Been seeing lots of does, but no bucks at all. Only took the one buck so far, so I am not hurting the deer population in my area. Good luck all

8. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a 3 day weekend planned for the 10th-12th. It would be nice to get a late season buck to add to our point total but I'd be happy just putting some more meat in the freezer. I can't wait to get back out in the woods. Man, this season flew by.

-D

9. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting hard for a week and finally got on the herd. Missed a big doe at 40 yards in the beans tonight but I'll keep at it. No bucks around but I'll still keep trying for 50 more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Must have been a cold one in the stand last night. I'm hoping to get a sit in this weekend, but my daughter has a basketball tournament and we don't know all the game times yet. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I can get a quick sit in tonight and again in the morning. Temps aren't too bad, should be around 28 degrees with the ground covered in snow. Going to set near a funnel into my soybeans. Hopefully I can get one on the ground to finish out the season.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Had two doe come out in the beans before I could even get set up in the stands and have had 8 tom turkeys on the far edge of the beans ever since. Hopefully these deer get up a little early this evening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

13. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry team. I just switched my hunting arrows from broadheads to field tips. No more sits for me this year. Good news though...going to my first 3d shoot of the year tomorrow! I've learned a lesson. Take an early doe because it's never a guarantee in the late season, no matter how good your food sources are. It's been a pleasure team. You guys and gal have had a great year!!

14. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody still hunting? season ended here on the 31st. Shot three deer that day 2 does and and a decent 8. hit the buck far up in the shoulder and he lived. should have just waited and set up on his trail for the afternoon. lesson learned

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Had my last hunt of the season last night, and got skunked. Saw everything but deer. Had 8 tom turkeys come to within 25 yards of my stand, but never gave me a shot. Also saw a bobcat about 50 yards away. It was a strange season. I only saw one mature shooter buck all season. Luckily he gave me the shot and I was able to close the deal. I have always seen several shooters a season on my place, they were just usually not in bow range. I passes a lot of doe early on, figuring I would take one in the late season. Never really got a chance at that either. It just seemed like a very uneventful deer season to me. I can think back to just about every season I've been hunting and think of something cool or unique that I saw. One year I had a bobcat walk to the base of my tree and stretch his legs up the tree like he was going to climb on up. Another year I had an owl swoop down and land in a branch just next to me. Nothing like that happened this year, and those are the type of things that make hunting so enjoyable to me. Hopefully next year will be a more eventful season.

From the looks of things, we will all get to share next season together too. I'm looking forward to that as well. If I remember right, they extended the contest this year to the end of January, so I suppose we don't want to celebrate too soon though.

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure have enjoyed reading the updates team. Sorry I couldn't help out. Next year.... Next year... :D

17. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season ended Saturday. I'm sorry to say that I was unable to add any more points to our total, nor was I able to put any more meat in my freezer. I hope we can hold on to our lead. It's a great team to be a part of.

-D

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, I really enjoyed another season on this team.

The best season of mine to date. An early doe and my first bow buck. Meat in the freezer and antlers to look at.

We laid down some nice deer this season and if its in our cards we may just meet on the same thread again next year! Just think what our score could be!

19. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never was able to hunt the last days of our season. Had a great time this season and enjoyed reading the posts.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    We proved one thing this season for sure. Last year was no fluke, as we outscored our record from last year. We have a great team full of great people and great hunters. It's a pleasure to be a member of such a skilled team. Unless there's a team that has been holding out on posting scores, it looks like we will have another chance to defend the title :)