The Illinois Whitetail Disaster - Don Higgins

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Jan 5, 2014.

1. carnivore1

carnivore1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't take the time to read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already mentioned these things. I think this happening in many states throughout the midwest. Here in Kansas we have seen the population and harvest numbers drop as well. The blame gets piled on the KDWPT mainly, but there are so many things that have driven the decline in numbers and quality of the herd. The numbers will bounce back with a few years of good weather conditions for survival and fawn recruitment, but in the long run the herds will continue to decline because that is the ultimate goal of the governments in a lot of states right now. As hunters,we will just have to learn to regulate ourselves, and as the hunting declines, hunter participation will decline as well. The quicker we can learn to adapt to the new conservation environment, the better off the herd will be and the more satisfying our experiences will be.

2. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

LOL............you have to be the thinnest skinned dude to ever lace up a pair of boots. You want to sue me for telling everyone what you've already admitted to??

What did I say that was false??

You laughably describe what happened to you as being "accused"...........but the truth is not only were you accused but you plead guilty to trespassing while retrieving that buck. You paid a fine for a hunting crime you were cited for.......right?? Just going by what's in your book but I haven't read that rag in so long please correct me if I'm wrong and I will retract any false statements.

As far as the rest, my opinion is hunting criminals (which your book states you are) should be the LAST people anyone would consult on deer herd management.

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trespassing to retrieve a deer Atlas? That's your big game crime revelation? Oh boy

4. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow you know every detail of it all don't you!? If you know so well what's in the book, why don't you offer up Don's side of the story? Atleast make it fair. Give both sides.

5. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    And Don details all of the situation in his book... There's more to the story than what atlas mentions, obviously.

6. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I thought it was something major like taking a shot 3 minutes before legal shooting time.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to argue or say your wrong, but that's kind of a no brainer that somebody down plays a situation they're accused of in a self written book. So I'm sure there's more to it than what's mentioned in said book as well.

8. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Don's "details" are everyone but him was lying of jealous. He accuses the conservation agent, other landowners and hunters, all the way to the states attorney of making false statements and/or being jealous.

I personally couldn't give a rip about any of that...........it's his axe to grind and someone let him grind it in a book. It's one of dozens of sides to that story I'm sure and again, couldn't care less.

The fact is he was accused of trespassing to get his buck under cover of dark..........he didn't fight the charge, he plead guilty and paid a fine once he was assured the details wouldn't be made public as he knew it would harm his reputation and his desire to write articles for hunting publications.

How many of you would plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit??

This is all in his book.......not really sure where all the claims this is false are coming from.

9. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Just what Don told me.........in his book. I'm sure if ALL sides of the story were known it would be even more interesting ;)

10. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

You're OK with trespassers???

Oh Boy.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, to the guys that live in Illinois.....has the hunting become crap recently?

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, that's not going to happen in this thread or any other thread you bring it up in, so let it go.

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Not where I live.

And not really convinced its all as bad as some report because I don't believe harvest reports or number of tags sold are a accurate representation of population. We're supossed to read articles like what's at beginning of this thread and take them as fact and disregard what the DNR says but also we're supossed to read articles or interviews from the DNR and believe them and not articles like this. So who do you believe.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Goodness gracious. The guy kills a buck and "trespasses" by going over some property lines by a "few yards" to retrieve a deer and he is vilified? Come on, it is just a deer. Here is the deal for me Don. Good for you for writing about something you care deeply about. I found this written by Don:

Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 8:32 PM
    Subject: Big Buck nightmare

> Many of you are aware that I shot the buck of a lifetime on Wednesday
    > afternoon. He had 20 points and would likely have scored over 200". Most
    > who
    > were fortunate enough to see him say he would have easily went over 200".
    > Taking him was the culmination of a lifelong dream. In fact it was 25
    > years
    > ago this fall that I took my first whitetail. Today that dream became a
    > nightmare when the buck was confiscated by an Illinois DNR conservation
    > officer. Apparently some gun hunters were aware of this buck and had big
    > plans to kill him during this weekends gun season. When they learned that
    > I
    > had killed him on the evening before gun season they got mad and
    > investigated the location of the kill and found where the deer had
    > apparently wandered onto another property a few yards before dying. When I
    > recovered the deer with 3 friends it was night and we were in the woods
    > and
    > never crossed a fence. It was impossible to see property lines as it is
    > very
    > tough even in the daylight. These jealous gun hunters then encouraged the
    > landowner to press trespassing charges. He did just that and my buck was
    > confiscated and I recieved a citation for trespassing. The 3 others with
    > me
    > were not charged. Before this all took place I was asked to return to the
    > scene by the conservation officer to show him my treestand, where the buck
    > stood when shot and the bloodtrail on the land where I had permission to
    > hunt. This all checked out fine. Jealousy by a few "hunters?" simply
    > ruined
    > an occasion that I had dreamed about for a lifetime.
    >
    > As I understand it the court will decide if I get to keep the buck or if
    > it
    > becomes state property. I will fight for him til the end but even if it is
    > returned to me, the whole thing will forever be tarnished by this turn of
    > events. The good thing about this is that I have found out who my real
    > friends are. Several good people have rallied to my support and are still
    > working to see what can be done to address this situation in a manner that
    > gets my buck back. To those folks I will always be grateful. I know that
    > those of you who do not yet know about this will support me in whatever
    > ways
    > you can. At this point I may never hunt again. I do hope that each of you
    > has a buck of this caliber in your future and that you can know the
    > awesome
    > feelings that I was able to feel for a few short hours. Good luck and keep
    > me posted of your successes.
    >
    > Don

15. Don Higgins

Don Higgins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You forgot several telling details atlasgirl .... starting with your name but also including the fact about me having 3 friends with me when the deer was retrieved but I was the only one charged. Or the fact that trespassing was never proven. Or the fact that the person accusing me of trespassing did everything they could to take the deer, a 214" buck. Or the fact that my long ongoing battle with DNR over the management of the states deer herd played a major part in me being charged to begin with. Or the fact that the deer was illegally seized and a judge ordered the deer returned to me immediately. Lots of details left off by someone without the guts to give their real name. Naw, theres no axe to grind here; I mean all of this is very relevant to the discussion at hand. LOL!!!! I see plenty of people already see through you without even reading the story!

16. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    So everybody was out to get you and only you?

Since you get so hung up on who's talking to you my name is Jeremy and no I haven't read your book or care too just making observations from your comments on here.

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Don, I know you saw this post, but apparently refuse to answer my question. But, just in case you did miss it, I quoted myself so you can see it again.

So, again, I want you to show me where I slammed you in multiple posts. Can you do that or is it a myth?

18. englum_06

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should read the books. Great reads with tons of useful info.

19. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    I think I can get a idea of what they're like from reading through this post.

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I am confused as to what you would do with his real name. You going to go "look him up"?

I know nothing about you. Zero. But I can tell you that right now, if I was an editor or a publisher, I would be less than impressed. Heck, if I was just looking for a good book on deer hunting I would likely pass over anything by Don Higgins at the moment. Your passion is admirable, but I think it is making you say and do some things right now that you may regret. I don't begrudge any man from defending his name and honor, but there are options. You can take the high road or the low road, and right now I think you are in the ditch of the low road.