Quick question. NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by towtruckman650, Jan 5, 2014.

1. towtruckman650

towtruckman650 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I sighted my bow in perfectly from 10-40 yards with field points then swapped to broadheads and it shot like it had never been sighted in. Any suggestions?

2. Bowhunter29

Bowhunter29 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is your bow paper tuned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes paper tune it first, then sight in with your broadheads. fieldpoints are always close to your broadheads after a quick tune.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Forget paper tuning if you plan on shooting broadheads. Follow these instructions and you will be tuned up in no time.

Broadhead Tunning | Bowhunting.com Blog

To answer the question in short, your arrow rest is out of tune and needs to be adjusted. Read this article and follow it and you will be in business. What broadheads are you shooting?

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The first step is to set centershot. Either by walk back or french tune (do a search) it is critical you get the arrow coming out of the bow straight. Usually measuring 13/16" from riser to center of arrow will get you close. You can use paper to ensure you have no contact issues and to get the vertical nock point set. Spray powder and or lipstick also works very well.

If there is a horizontal tear in the paper after setting centershot, you either are torquing the bow, are improperly spined or you have cam lean. Paper tuning should be done at multiple distances. I use 3' 6' and 12'

DO NOT ADJUST REST TO GET GOOD TEAR IF CENTER SHOT IS CORRECT.

Proper grip will fix torque

More poundage, less poundage or different arrow will fix spine issue.

Twisting the yoke will fix the cam lean.

Once you address all the reasons your getting a tear, your broadhead should hit with field points provided the arrow is properly built.

Adequate fletch with plenty of spin (helical). Straight arrows with good broadhead alignment (no wobble)

If a broadhead won't hit with the field points after getting these issues figured out, you either didnt get the correct spine or missed the centershot slightly.

Properly tuned bow/arrow combo takes a little work and when done properly, you will get good paper results as well as broadhead performance.

You can skip straight to broadhead tuning as dubbya posted and come back to paper but if your having some of the issues I posted, it could be a long frustrating process.

To top it off, there are sime broadheads that just don't fly well. Most of the big names fly very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014