Need help with a CLASSIC DILEMMA

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CbDoc23, Jan 2, 2014.

1. CbDoc23

CbDoc23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone, I'm new here and have recently just catapulted myself into the bow market. I have been shooting an extremely old compound bow, which was my grandfathers with the goal of getting a buck with it before buying a new, more expensive bow (sentimental thing). With that said, I finally laid down a 6pter this season and its time for a new one. Here is where my dilemma begins.
    Background: 29" draw length, 60-70lb draw. Primarily hunt out of a Summit Viper climber.

-The first place I went was my local Hoyt Dealer, a very small shop whom is strictly Hoyt. With a personal spending limit of $800-900, this eliminated any chance of touching any of the carbon spyders or elements. I shot the 2013 faktor and spyder 30, fell in love with the spyder 30. Dealer offered me a deal of $850 for the 13' Spyder 30 with a WB and Fuse sight included. Dealer seems a little stiff, made it seem like I'd get no deals with the 2014's coming in.

-The second place I went was a dealer for all other bows except Hoyt. Ended up shooting like every bow in the shop, especially all the 2014 Mathews that just came in (ZXT, Creed, Creed XS). Hated the Creed, liked the ZXT ok but fell in love with the Creed XS despite having my doubts about a 28". Also have never felt a draw as smooth as I did on the Elite Hunter, but I didn't like how skinny it felt in my hand. Thats what killed that bow for me.
    The dealer offered me a deal of $850 for the 2014 Creed XS!

My thoughts:
    Classic Dilemma, HOYT VS. MATHEWS.
    *I always envisioned myself a Hoyt guy when it came time for a new bow (I know it may be superficial but I've always admired the Hoyts in the hands of other members of my family).
    *Love the look and the dip of the Spyder30, I'm cool with the Lost camo dip, but secretly hate the waffle maker look of Mathews. I think I could get used to it though.
    *Like the idea of having a brand new 2014 bow.
    *Probably going to change the WB anyway for a fall-away. 2nd dealer told me the fuse sight was kinda crappy and I'd probably want to change that as well.
    *Spyder30 seemed like a shop-bow, as in its been getting shot by everyone and their brother for the past year (was already setup).
    *Pretty frustrated about the fact that I can't shoot the Spyder30 and the Creed XS back to back due to dealer preferences.

My questions:
    Any way to convince me towards one or the other? Thoughts on the 14' Creed XS, 13' Spyder30? Thoughts on it being a 'shop bow'? Any difference in warranties? Any difference in buying perks? Should I try to just get more money off of the Hoyt since 2014's are already on their way in? I've done my research so I know all the differences in actual bow specs but its a big purchase for me so I need straight up evidence from both parties so I can make the right choice. Also, could be willing to wait for the 14' Faktor 30 and see what my guy can do with the price on that.
    THANKS GUYS!

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't buy a bow your not in love with!! Sounds like you will probably have it for a while! Go shoot them again, shoot as many times as you have to until you know what you want! You already have a bow that can kill deer so don't rush into it!! Let the bow choose you!!

3. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you shoot the new energy 32? You can also change grips on the bow if thats holding you up. Don't forget mission bows either they make a great bow that is well below your price range. Also, did you shoot the chillR?

4. ScentLokSoldierUSA

ScentLokSoldierUSA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with these guys. You aren't in any rush right now since most seasons are coming to a close. Take your time and shoot, shoot, shoot. I got the Monster Chill this past year after I returned home from the military. I shot the crap out of it before I finally walked out the door with it. Congratulations on getting that deer also.

5. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all in what you want from a bow. However you should go with the bow that feels like a natural extension. A bow that when you like everything about it, the draw cycle, the valley and stop. How does it feel in your hand during the shot ? The bows are probably ounces of one another but weight can be managed by the accessories you choose.

either way it will be yours, which you have to live with and enjoy shooting it.

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I look at other bows and shoot them but always go back to the Mathews. Good bad or indifferent I just like them.
    Good luck.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely have time, so don't rush. I agree with the others, don't buy a bow you don't LOVE, there are way too many makes and models out there to settle on something. Figure out a criteria, what's important to you as the shooter… is the speed, the smoothness of the draw cycle, ATA, solidity of the back wall, etc. Rank those categories on a 1-5 scale and see which one totals up the most. If you liked the Elite and not the grip, check out different grips there are probably 500 different grips you can get.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

8. Bob Bergeron

Bob Bergeron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought about trying a bow from Mission Archery. Mathews owns and makes these bows for the masses whom don't have 800 or 900 to spend on a bow. I currently shoot the Mission Ballistic. Look for yourself and compare....

9. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Misson Ballistic!

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I refuse to answer that in a nice way, and hears why; you will know which one you like more, and which one fits the best by shooting them. Forget the specs or the name. You said the other shop carries many brands, correct? Forget, "oh, it's a hoyt, or it's a mathews" go into the shop and just shoot any bow without looking at the name or the specs and the one that truly is the best bow for you will show itself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. CbDoc23

CbDoc23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went back to the shop today to reshoot the bows with the plan of cruising directly over to the Hoyt dealer after. I reshot the Elite 32,and although that back wall was sweet I decided against it; just didn't feel right. Definite no for the Chill R. Shot a bow tech, but I forget the name; it was a forgettable bow. Bears did not impress me, just too heavy and didn't balance with me right. Lastly I shot the Creed XS again and mannnn, I know there are Mathews haters but this bow is a BAD *** 28"'er with one hell of a sweet spot and thats without it even being set up. It is so quiet, and dead in the hand, its almost as if a stabilizer would just be an ornament. Idc what the reviews are, for any doubter, 3 words: JUST TRY IT.

Left and sped on over to the hoyt dealer so I could get that last comparison and make a mental decision cuz at this point I forgot what the Spyder really felt like. Guy is closed when he's supposed to be open. -__- So irritated lol So til next week, I'm hoping a new Hoyt blows me out of the water or something because this is now very stiff competition.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  12. CbDoc23

CbDoc23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ladies and Gents, Pleased to say that I have officially went with the 2014 Hoyt Faktor 30. Sorry to my Mathews guys but not only did it blow the 2014 line out of the water, it EVEN blew the Hoyt Carbon Spyder and Element out of the water!! (IMO) Deal still pending but either way, I will have this bow. Grouping bullseye arrows and almost breaking knocks @20 yards with only a Whisker Biscuit on! Excited to say the least.

I think I'm Officially Team Hoyt.

13. Dwight Shrute

Dwight Shrute Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the bow. Hope it works out for you.

14. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!!

16. Borgy76

Borgy76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 bows, 3 different mfg's picke out that I couldn't decide between. The Matthews warranty is what tipped the scales for me. Congrats on your new toy and making a decision, it's tough to do sometimes.