Cutler is back for 7 more years

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by racewayking, Jan 2, 2014.

1. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lions and Packers have to be happy about that. Good QB who just doesn't quite have it....

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    True but he's getting better with age. He had the best year of his career this past season under a new offensive-minded coach and you have to assume with continued improvement of the O-line along with Marshall, Jeffrey and Forte they're going to continue getting better in the future. No, he'll never be :dan: Aaron Rodgers but he'll be able to get the job done and put the Bears in position to compete. I have no problem with this decision at all.

5. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the thing... Bears fans have to be happy too. Who else would they get? They have arguably the best collection of offensive weapons in the league right now with Jeffrey, Marshall, and Forte.... They need to capitalize on them while they are all there and at their peaks, trying to rebuild/restart with a new fresh QB isn't the time currently.

Still makes me laugh because it puts the Bears in the same boat as the Cowboys with Romo. Both have good QBs who are just frustrating enough to make you want them gone but realistically know there is no one better to get in their place.

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's good news for Packer nation but I'll say this he should improve with the hysterectomy he had this year.

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PHP:
    IMO the bears are a better team with Cutler than without him. It's not like there is an abundance of quality starting QB's out there to choose from? Their defense let them down in the recent game versus the Pack.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think everyone nailed this pretty good. He is a good skill set QB that doesn't know how to play the mental part of the QB position.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm happy happy happy.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I sure would have liked to see him leave for the Vikes!

IMO he got a bit too much money - But you are seeing that with a lot of QB's now (you don't have to necessarily be ELITE to earn great money, Joe Flacco for example).

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Nope...I'm perfectly happy with Cassel/Ponder/Freeman at the helm over there.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of ways to define "Elite" when talking about QB's. Flacco lead his team to the playoffs each of his first 5 seasons, the NFC Championship game two years in a row (should have won both), a SuperBowl victory and SuperBowl MVP. Sure, he's not a 50 TD/5,000 YD passer but I'd consider him pretty elite when it comes to being successful.

The Bears biggest hurdle in coming years isn't going to be their QB or offense, it's going to be their horrendous defense.

13. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Flacco and the Ravens weren't so elite minus Lewis, Reed, Pollard and Krueger this year...

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Horrible deal for Bear fans. It'll keep them a little above average but not a super bowl contending team. Green Bay and Detroit are only going to get better. The Vikings are pretty much at rock bottom right now so they can only go up from here.

As a Cowboys fan, I understand and feel bad for the Chicago fan base.

15. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to see how the deal is set up from a financial standpoint before I commit to whether or not the Bears made a good move moving forward.

True, they needed Jay, as he was really the only option at QB the Bears had for next year. I think the first round pick would be better served on defense to shore up a lot of holes that were exposed this year.

I think a better option would have been the franchise tag for next year. Gives Jay money for a year, gives the Bears options to part ways if things don't improve at the end of next year.

I have heard the deal might only be guaranteed for 3, and who knows if the cap hit increases on the back side of the deal if Jay is still around 7 years from now. I am hoping it is an end loaded deal so we can use some cap room to improve this defense.

Without an improved D, Jay certainly won't have a shot, even putting up better numbers than this year. I think from an offensive standpoint this team should be even harder to stop next year. Another year with Trestman and the full compliment of talent should be fun to see.

In the end it still is going to take better than a pop warner defensive to go anywhere. The sad part is that offense could take you to a Super Bowl.

16. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard it was 50 million over the first 3 years.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    50 mil guaranteed the first 3 years, making him one of the top 8 highest paid QBs in the league.

I still think it was a good move. Cutler's problem has always been his attitude and decision making, both of which are getting noticeably better with age and experience. He's gone from being a punk kid to a very solid starting QB. If he can stay healthy and continue to improve there's no reason the Bears can't win with him. With Marshall and Forte both pretty deep into their careers and probably near the peak of their productivity there was no time to start over with a rookie. It's do or die for Chicago over the next 3 years.

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it was still a good move. It all comes down to who is available. As far as free agent QB's, it is slim pickings. Who else could they have gotten? Maybe wait and draft somebody who is unproven in the league? Not a bears fan at all, but with Jeffery and Marshall, I think Cutler will only get better next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

19. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, you say that, NOW. I'll check back in next year at this time. LOL He AND the offense are going to have to make HUGE improvements for next year if their defense continues to give up the points they did this year.

No idea why Packers fans are so happy he re-signed. They should have other things on their mind-like finding out what the hell happened to their defense. A girls flag football team dang near could have scored 20 plus points a game on both defenses!

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What Flacco did was quite impressive his first few years.... But you hear this all the time: "Defense wins championships."

That is quite evident on how horrendous they were this year compared to last. The Ravens O-Line was also absolutely terrible as well, meaning Flacco and Rice both suffered.

Don't get me wrong... I would love it if Flacco was part of the Vikes, but I just don't consider him an elite QB like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.