Birdsfoot Trefoil

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Q-harley, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to this forum, but by reading many of your posts you are a group of guys and gals that know food plotting. I have grown many plants, some have been for deer some not. This year I,m planting alfalfa,chicory,alsike clover, and birdsfoot trefoil. I have never planted any type of trefoil, have any of you?Q

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's been in some of the mixes I utilize and is a great seed for a plot in an area that doesn't get much moisture/rain.

It has a high drought tolerance and some claim when all else turns dry and brown this stuff will be the last to remain green; which is a great thing if drought does hit but if it does get a lot of moisture BFT isn't a high desired plant when other better choices are around. That said though it will get browsed especially if planted along with other items like you listed. That mix you listed has great drought resistance though with the alfalfa and chicory (clover isn't terrible). Good blend for early hunting season and touch of cold too as chicory will stay palatable into the colder temps compared to the other stuff in the mix.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Now I will add that the stuff once in and growing can be tough to get rid of...so depending on outlook of plot or desired factors could be a good or bad thing.

4. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sure don,t want an evasive plant. Thank-you for your input Tynimiller. Although, I plant in strips or blocks where each plant community is a monoculture. I do this so I can observe deer browsing behavior. I have watched deer walk through oats, clover and turnips and put there heads down and eat chicory. Q

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Chicory and Clover is an awesome mix and I'm happy it is catching on for a lot of people. The blend really is great for many facets including can take a high bit of browsing and keep kicking, drought resistant by nature of deeper roots, palatable/desired by deer, and easy to grow in the grand scheme of things (not a one and done mix either...can grow great with proper fertilizing for 3-5 years). Honestly if you're one that definitely keeps a hand in the dirt as I say when it comes to food plots you won't have any issues with Trefoil taking over or becoming an issue...it is a rare issue some state occurs and we've never had an issue.

6. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks... good information Q