***Team 7- Twisted Tines***

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by BJE80, Aug 19, 2013.

1. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had a few close encounters on a couple big bucks the past few weeks but havent been able to seal the deal. Heading out in the morning with the rifle for the opening day of gun season then ill go back to my bow on saturday. I would bring my bow out but im getting sick of haviing shooters walk just out of range. Sucks that a gun kill wont count but I have until january 1st. Time to kill!

2. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting hard guys and seeing deer just can't seal the deal. Going to lay low for the next 15 days and keep the pressure off the property during firearm season. I may get out there once or twice with the bow but we'll see. Once firearm ends I will be hitting the woods HARD!! Good luck guys!

3. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry been awhile since I've been on guys. Go new job and working lot of hours. Did get out last sat and had an amazing morning. Saw 5 diff shooter bucks chasin. Was able to grunt in our typical 12. Has bout 4 inch drop. Had him at 22 yards and hit and damn twig and went an inch over his back. Never been so sick in my life. Be back at it Sunday. Congrats on the kills too fellas.

4. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a small 50 acre piece of private land. Went to where I had left my climber last weekend for the morning hunt today, when I got to it I noticed someone had cut my pull rope. This is the 2nd time I have had someone mess with my property this year. Some people just have no respect. Last Saturday morning the landowner heard a gun shot come from the direction of that stand. Im starting to get pissed and would love to catch this person.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it guys! Lets get some bucks on the ground

6. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opening day firearm deer season success. My bro and me doubling up and my bro in law getting done too. This is my 3rd doe of the year, so that's pretty awesome. Just need a big buck behind em'. 016.jpg 014.jpg

7. Sconley81

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down baby!

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sweeeeet. Send pics when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!!

10. RackHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hell ya! Congrats!

11. Sconley81

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for tje delay fellas, I just got done droppung him off at taxidermy for a skull mount and just finished butchering him up. I recovered him about 150yds from my stand. As soon as I get cleaned up and to my computer I will post up the story and some pics. Im pumped, been at it since Sept 1st, he isnt the biggest on the farm but he is 2 on my hitlist.

Good luck to anyone else out in the woods. Shoot straight and be safe!

Steven

12. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet. Congrats

13. Sconley81

Dislikes Received:
    So I hung a new stand Tuesday afternoon and was able to get out and hunt it this morning. I had been seeing a few signs of the rut but nothing has been to crazy. This morning we started haing deer come through right at first light. Had a couple small bucks grunting and chasing and actually had another decent buck, an 11 point come just out of range not 5 minutes before I had my buck come in. Right about 8am I look down the hill to my left and see a buck coming through the soy beans on the other side of the woods, heading dead straight at me. He enters the woods and is still on a beeline right to me, gets a drink of water from the creek at 30yds then continues on dead at me. I draw back anticipating him to turn left or right and hit the trail through the woods but he stops facing right at me and starts to eat grass. Not sure how long I had been drawn back I begin to panic, do I let down, do I take a sketchy straight on shot. Yea I did the dumb thing, took a straight on shot, entered right at the shoulder...deer turned and jumped the creek and stopped at about 35yds. He wasnt putting his front right leg down so I knew I made good contact and busted his shoulder. I reached for another arrow in case I got a 2nd shot, he turned and started walking away and was complete broadside at 40yds, put another arrow right in the shoulder. I watched as he ran off through the beans and then he just stops and stands there. I try watching him through my rangefinder to see if he is about to expire or to see if I got a good hit. Couldnt tell much but then I had a small buck and 2 does come in from behind me so now I had to worry about not getting busted and next I looked I could no longer see my buck.

Waited for about an hour before getting down, go to first shot and no blood, and I find my arrow about 10ft to the left of where he was standing, got hair and small amounts of blood from end to end. Began looking for blood, no blood in sight. Hop the creek to where I knew he stood, no blood! Now I am worried, got to spot of 2nd shot and find bright red blood. Begin looking for my 2nd arrow and cant find it, I pick up the blood just shy of the beans. About 10yds into the beans I find my 2nd arrow, covered in great blood. Track the blood about 75yds the beans, just shy of the woods I hear a stomp then a blow then a deer bolts. I am freaking out thinking I just bumped my buck! I decided to walk up the bank to see if I could see in the woods and just as I get to the top, there he was not 5yds in front of me, taking a nap!!

Here is where it gets odd..Go to taxidermist for him to cape him. On the deers right side after removing the hide there are 3 holes. 2 made by my 2 blade bloodrunner and 1 from my follow up which was a G% Montec...only 1 wound entering the deers body. Now remember, I had blood and hair from tip to tip on the first arrow. Only thing I can think of is the first shot went completely in, hit ribs or something just right and bounced back out same hole but made another exit in the hide. The the 2nd shot entered from opposite side of the body and exited out the entry hole from the 1st shot. Had me confused when I was looking at the body trying to find the entries and exits.

I got lucky today and was able to put 2 arrows into a deer, if I didnt get the follow up shot we might have another lost buck thread right now! He wasnt my number 1 on the hitlist but he was #2..10 point with a kicker off his left G2. Scored him at 127 1/8

[​IMG]

14. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome man. Way to get the first buck on the ground for Team 7!

15. Sconley81

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate all the congrats guys. Its been a difficult year this year and have hunted hard and glad it finally paid off. Good luck to everyone else, its time for me to buy some bonus tags and harvest a couple more does for the freezer.

16. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Sconley!!!! What a way to represent Team 7. The rut this year is crazy. Have only had 2 bucks all year chasing does. Someone needs to tell the bucks to start chasing does. I will be hunting about a week in the late season then that's it for me.

17. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Been a while guys....any updates??

As for me I will be hitting the stand in the morning. Gun season is over and i'm getting back in there. Still not much day activity on the cameras, but we will see what happens tomorrow. Good luck guys, its not over yet!

18. Sconley81

Dislikes Received:
    I have only been out once since I took my buck. I can purchase bonus tags and take more doe but the weather hasn't been the greatest and have been putting in the hours at work. I will be going back to Eastern KY for a few days of Elk hunting at the end of the year or first of the year. Got drawn for a cow tag so can't wait to give that a try!

19. RackHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys I havent been on much lately at all... Between moving up at work, working 70 hour weeks, and going to school I havent had awhole lot of free time. I hunted quite hard the last 3 weeks of November. Passed up a few decent bucks but didnt have any opportunities at any of my hit listers. But if I would of gun hunted this year I would of been tagged out! Lol I plan on going out a few more times this year so hopefully I can still put a doe down. Hows everyone else doing?

20. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Been rough down here. Missed an 8 point last saturday. But as they say - its not over til its over! Im on Christmas break until the 6th so I will be hitting it hard! Good luck guys.