Impact Wrench Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm not a super experienced mechanic by any means, but do know enough to maintain all of our vehicles and have had a handful of project cars in the past. I'm looking for a decent impact wrench as my current Husky cheapo doesn't have enough power and I'm tired of wrestling with bolts and nuts when I have a compressor.

I have a 20 gallon compressor that's rated for 150psi and 3-6 SCFM at 90 psi if any of that matters.

It seems like there are lots of options around the $100 mark and since I'll only use this thing every few months I'd like to spend around that. I'm most concerned with something that will last forever (I know how to maintain them), power, and then price. As long as it has enough power to spin lug nuts and large 3/4 brake caliper carrier bolts with ease I'll be happy.

Any guys have a suggestion?

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure the price off the top of my head, but I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive that I used when I was on my tools, both in mobile and fixed plant maintenance. Good gun, and when oiled regularly, long lasting.

Hope this helps.

3. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ingersol rand and harbor freight are the best at that price point.... im currently using a IR 231C and like it a lot....the 2135TiMAX is better but pricey.....craftsman 9-19984 is also a good one but if I remember right thats closer to the 200 mark....I just went through this as we are currently stocking a new shop we are building so those are newer impacts at the top of their price points.....hope this helps

Edit- also IR has a model 236 that is under 100 that is plenty for the do it yourselfer where its not getting used everyday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have this Craftsman 1/2" drive. Have owned it for about 9 years and it was used hard the first few years (when I was into offroading. Used it to break loose a lot of hardware on a 96 Toyota, change out blades on my dad's bush hog, etc., I don't find myself using it as much anymore, but it's always been good to me. Just keep it oiled, and I'm good to go.

Craftsman power tools have gone down hill, imho, however.

[​IMG]

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have Ingersol Rand at work and they seem to hold up to A LOT of abuse. Not sure on the price tho.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, Ingersol Rand here. Don't know the model number, or the price though

7. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Husky (Home Depot) Air 1/2" Drive
    Dewalt Electric 1/2" Drive

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Ingersol Rand...or Chicago Pnumatic if there is one in your price range. Been doing the work on our vehicles, and heavy equipment for 20+ years.

When you say 3/4" nut I'm assuming you are meaning it takes a 3/4" socket and is not a nut that fits on a 3/4" bolt. If it just takes a 3/4" socket a 1/2" drive impact should easily handle the job, however if you're talking a nut that fits on a 3/4" bolt then you're screwed in the price range you mentioned, lol. You would need a heavy 3/4" to an 1" impact to handle that job.

I bought a CP impact in an 1" drive this past summer to take track bolts out of dozer track pads that are 3/4" bolts and nuts and had to spend around $800 for that beast....and got a deal on it at that.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Ingersol rand 100 time over! Im a mechanic by trade and use the heck out of them! By far my fav