Thinking about adding 5 lbs to draw weight... what can expect in terms of speed?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by DaddyWagz, Dec 17, 2013.

1. DaddyWagz

DaddyWagz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey All,
    So I've been shooting my Mathews Q2XL for a while with good results. Harvested my first buck from 20 yards, on the ground, this fall! Woot!

Anyway, I've always shot it at 60 lbs. I'm hoping to try some pronghorn hunting next year so there's a chance I might be shooting at 40-50 yards (don't plan on trying anything further than that). I want to make sure that any arrow I shoot at a critter is fatal, so I'm thinking about adding poundage to my bow. What will an addition to 5 lbs get me? Should I bump it up to 70? I'm fairly strong, but I've never tried anything over the 60 lbs. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will gain you approximately 10fps. Which, is a negligible amount and something I doubt you will even notice. Shoot with your comfortable weight and kill what you want.

A fast bow and a slow bow have the same POI.

3. DaddyWagz

DaddyWagz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. Thanks for getting back to me. What about arrow penetration at the further distances? Is it still negligible?

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    60 is more than adequate at the longer distance.

Above all else, keep it comfortable.

A spine issue MAY arise if you add poundage so keep that in mind. You may need new arrows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should be fine with that, it's better to be accurate over the slight increase in power I think. Also antelope are smaller than your average deer so I'd think you'll be fine!

6. bburen

bburen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should have more then enough at 60 lbs. I am a bigger guy and shoot 70-72 but only because its comfortable for me, shoot what you are accurate with and can draw back smoothly. Congrats on the buck from the ground.

7. Great White

Great White Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Someone told me to wind it up maybe 1 turn a month, and that way I would not notice the difference, or change, in draw weight.

And so far it is good advice.

I started at about 57, and wound it up to 60 after 2 weeks and have been shooting it at that for 2 weeks.

8. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You will probably end up needing to retune your bow after increasing the weight.