Broadhead tuning a whisker biscuit

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Dec 4, 2013.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched to Slick Trick Magnum 100 grains after failing to get blade deployment with Rages. I have been working on sighting them at 20 yards my field points are hitting perfect but the Slick Tricks are hitting about eight inches low. The center shot is perfect, just low. I hate to mess with my sights in the middle of the season so would it be best to move the rest and in what direction? Or aim with a different pin? With the broadheads, my 20 yard is perfect at 10 yards, the 30 is perfect at 20. This seems to work on the range but I would hate to miss a deer because I forgot to adjust the aim in the field. Thoughts? Bow season lasts to the end of February so I have plenty of season to go.

2. bohuntr

bohuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the arrow is leaving the bow tail-high..try moving the rest down a bit (small increments)...if you cant move it down far enough...then you may have to move your loop(nock point) up a bit

Mark

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    8" is a lot at 20 yards. You are literally talking about a minor fix. Your BH's are missing low which means your rest is too low/nock point is too high. 8" is a lot at 20 yards.

First, mark where your rest is now so you can go back to that point if need be. Bump your rest up slowly until the FP and BH hit at the same point. Then move your pins. You will be better off shooting a tuned bow than a bow that isn't tuned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. bohuntr

bohuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the dyslexic moment..move rest up/nocking point down

Mark

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I think you meant rest up, nock down.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. I will try it this weekend. The arrows flew perfect with field points and the mechanical Rages. Nothing became apparent until I put on the fixed blade Slick Tricks

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are not the first and won't be the last. Just remember that the rage shooting at the same place as your FP's was actually a band aid. Your bow was out of tune all along, you just didn't know it.

8. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best way to tune a broad head with whisker biscuit is to dump the biscuit and replace with a drop away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Tell me more. Explain to me why you can't tune a WB.

10. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda just being a smart @$$. Sorry for that. But I never liked the idea if fetching contact when striving fir accuracy. Just an opinion I presume as many stand strong on the wings of the biscuit. I however vote for drop away and cut on contact. I shoot true at 80 field tip or broad head. (G5 montec 100).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

11. DJTBC Bowhunter

DJTBC Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the others. With your arrows coming out that low at 20 yards, try leveling out your arrow, or if possible, use a bow square to find the exact nocking point. had this problem with my WB before I bought my new QAD. Good luck!

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another victim of the Rage band-aide. My guess is that your blades did not fail to deploy, but the bow was badly out of tune and the deployment took away all of your KE. You will be happy with the results after getting it in tune. Good luck.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You won't have any problems tuning your bow with a WB, in fact they tend to tune fairly easy with most bows / cams systems. I would start with walk back/ bare shaft tuning and then broadhead tune to make sure you at the same POI as your FT.
    Good luck