***Team 10 Nocked and Locked***

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Sticknstringarchery, Jul 7, 2013.

1. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be moving to food this afternoon. Hopefully a hot doe gets hungry and drags a hit list buck along. After talking to the neighbors I think all my bucks made it past the orange army! Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I have to work in the morning, but will be getting off at noon and heading out for an evening hunt over my soybean plot. Should see some good movement. Hopefully I'll get a shot at a doe or another good buck.

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm introducing my brother in law to the world of bow hunting. He has never been on a hunt in his life. Well, I'm setting up a set like I've seen on hunting shows for a camera man. I'm really hoping I shoot one with him with me so he gets the full on experience. I have a feeling we may have another addict on our hands soon.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Skywalker! I really appreciate the offer (and tell your wife 'thanks'!) I'm not sure what I'll do for the late season. Weather is big issue on driving far. I used a total of $359.00 in gas on this last trip. (at least 3600 miles) But that was with the tactical Prius. My 2500HD would handle snow/ice better but would use more gas $$ just getting to eastern Missouri. LOL

Dubbs, you're a mere 600 or so miles away. ;)

Decisions, decisions. For now, I have to go fill my doe antelope tag. Fill my 3 bobcat tags and maybe pick up a bounty 'yote or two. I seem to have caught a chest cold somewhere on my trip (cough, hack) so I kind of feel poopy and unmotivated. I'm blaming Nebraska.

Keep up the good work team!!

5. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Christine, I envy you being able to hunt all those critters. That has to be lots of fun! :)

6. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt. That sounds like a blast.

7. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting all week without a single sighting of a mature buck. A card pull of three cams from the entire month of November revealed ZERO mature bucks on camera. I'm going to keep hammerin', but the chances of me tagging a buck this year look slim at best. I had a good hit list early this season, but I haven't seen much for buck activity since late September. I guess we didn't have any of the fall ranges.
    I've seen three solid doe groups, so I feel confident I can get one down. I may have to wait until Christmas break when they move to a more predictable feeding pattern, but I think we have around 30 does on our farms that survived gun season.
    That being said, I guided a young cousin to his best buck ever during the youth season and have learned volumes about how the deer behave during the rut on our farms...I have lots of new stand set ideas for next year! This year has been a success in my eyes.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    keep after it Hoyt, you'll get your chance.

I got a hunt in this evening. Had a doe and fawn being followed by a 1 1/2 buck. They came down my fence row and walked in through the open gate. They looked like they might filter down to me, they were at about 60 yards, but they just stood there for a good ten minutes staring to the east. Finally I notices some turkeys over there and the turkeys made their way up to the deer and passed within feet of each other. The deer started to go down the trail the turkeys came in on, which leads into the soybeans, but something spooked them as they jumped around a little bit an their tails were all in the air as puffed up as they could get them. They ended up going back the way they came and a couple minutes later I caught some movement where the deer had frozen. Saw a damn coyote following the trail the turkeys too, so I did the only thing I could think of. Took my mouth to the back of my hand and sucked on it trying to make that distressed rabbit call, and it worked. That coyote came right in, trotted right down my foot plot until he saw me move my hand from the camera to the bow. He stopped, staring right at me. I drew, set my pins as fast as I could and released the arrow. He was at about 27 yards, and I had the 30 yard pin on his chest. When I released, he jumped the string, squatted down and the arrow flew right over his back. Didn't miss him by more than an inch or two. That sucks!!!! I got it all on film with my big camera and my cell phone on the bow. Would have been freakin' awesome if I had connected on that mangy varmint. Less than five minutes later another yote came into the edge of my plot and didn't give me a shot. Less than five minutes after than another damn yote came in from yet another direction. I know what I'll be doing once my deer season is over. I'm going to try and thin out the pack for sure.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well good luck everyone. I'm about to go MIA for a week. Johnny Herrmann and I will be shooting elk, whitetails, pheasants, chukars, huns, ducks, geese, rabbits, coyotes, turkeys and maybe a bobcat or mt. lion.

Clinton is supposed to be coming too but I think he whussed out. :D

10. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt wuss out punk.. I couldnt get off work. I wish I was there I just couldnt make it happen

11. flyguy415

flyguy415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im sooo sick. neighbor killed my 14 pt typical I shared pics of a week or two ago.... not often does a typical 14 pt come into our lives.... had him on trail cam a 4 am. this morning. I just knew i'd have him in daylight this week. he was creeping on the edge. had him at 6 pm just after dark 2 days ago. hunting you just never know!!!!

12. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    There is always another deer. Ive been there I know the feeling. dont let it eat at ya. Get back out there and find another one to hunt.

13. hoyt_64

hoyt_64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you Clint. I get to hunt over 800 acres and we rarely hunt the same deer for more than a year. We've only had multi-year history with one buck in the 11 years I've hunted this farm. Get back out there and find a new one flyguy! He may be even bigger!!

14. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    can't believe its december already there goes my chance at a buck this year :( starting to regret passing a 115" 8 a couple days ago. In my experiences December hunting on this ny public land is very tough usually can go 4 or 5 hunts with no deer sightings. Hopefully i can get on a buck but until then does will be dropping left and right i hope. Good luck Guys and Gals

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    It's shaping up to be difficult here too. Hunted a water hole this past weekend. The problem was, there was water everywhere from the rain we had last week. Looking like more rain this weekend so water source won't pan out. Ill have to give that a whirl early season next year. This coming week I am at a loss as to where to hunt on my city property. I may go visit a farm I've had access to but, never hunted. It has only been hunted a couple times early this season by one person. May be a little honey hole.

If we can give a couple more doe a Dirtnap, I believe we may pull out on top at the end. Good luck Team 10!

16. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting food sources. Luckily, I just happen to have plenty of that on my property :) It's about to get cold, the rut is tailing off and both does and bucks should be hitting the food before the secondary rut kicks in. I'm thinking about taking a half day off tomorrow and hunting the evening. Hunting in the morning has become more and more difficult as the season has progressed because I'm bumping deer out of the field on my walk in. Shouldn't have that problem for my evening sits. I expect the late season to be pretty good on my place, the question is can I find time to hunt, and can I stand the cold long enough :)

17. flyguy415

flyguy415 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeee Yeeee Yeeee! Yáll see the score board??? Now that's more like it........

18. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is! I'm thinking there is a doe missing on that score though. Ill have to sit down one day this week and update my spread sheet.

Didn't Cougar Mag take out a doe and a 130" buck? I have 1264_/_without his doe.

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scorecard didn't add Dubbs doe. He needs to add date and time to his post.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Ah, it was dubs doe. It was right there listed with Cougar Mag.