**Team 8 Venison Vigilantes Official Thread**

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by jlbmarine, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    51 days and i'll be home again, will have about a month left to try and get another deer. Counting the days, good luck everyone, I've been monitoring the thread. Best thing we can do is keep trying! Good Luck again!

2. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was out this morning and had one behind my stand and never could get it to come out. Going out for an evening sit in a few. Good luck guys!

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went out today and it was a big waste of time. It was a beautiful day, sun was out, minimal wind, and very quiet in the woods. Would probably have heard a deer from a ways away. Then trucks started driving in. Then people shooting. Target practicing. Then guys yelling at there dogs. Then I hear the bell on the dog. Then more yelling. Then more shooting.

Yeah public land sucks sometimes. :sad:

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took Thurs and Fri off work to hunt before gun season opens. Saw a doe and two large fawns at noon Thurs, then nothing else. Saw nothing Fri until I left early to pick up my daughter from school, and kicked up a couple doe in the woods.

Took my wife on her first bowhunt today, with the "rule" that if it's a decent buck, I get to shoot, but I'd let her shoot at anything else. 8:30 comes around and I'm trying to activate a handwarmer for her when I hear a grunt. Look out of the blind and there's about a 130" buck walking toward the decoy. I start to get into position, and stepped on the foil of the handwarmer package. He spooked and started to take off. I pulled him back in with a grunt, but he kept running away and coming back. He got in range and broadside, but I rushed the shot and shot over his back. :( Horrible example for my wife. I had thought I hit him high, and was torn up about it because he didn't act injured. Went out to check for my arrow because I didn't see it in him when he was trotting away. Found it and it was clean. That was a relief, because I'd hate to injure a deer.

About 10 minutes later, we spotted 4 doe about 200 yards away, but walking toward us. Then a neighbors dog ran out and spooked them. Ugh, this is the second time this particular dog has done this. Angers me because these people just let their dogs run free. So then later we see about a fork-horn about the same distance. He's coming toward us, then gets spooked by a coyote. Ugh!

We finally left around 11 and I spot a doe in the woods as I'm putting a new mem card in the camera. Tried setting up the wife and drawing the doe out, but they didn't walk out. As we finally walked away, they spooked and ran off. Saw a total of 8 deer, which is more than I've seen in the past few hunts combined. Not bad for a first hunt for the wife, but it could have been a lot better!

5. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got some good news last night while out with the future in laws. They have some does that keep wrecking their landscaping. Best part is they live in an urban hunting zone, I Should be all set to smack a doe.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

6. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just spent all of last week on our lease in Jo Davies County here in Illinois. Sat through wind, cold, sleet and snow. Had numerous encounter with deer but most were yearlings, buttons and small does. On the 13th I had a doe come in with a pretty descent 120-130" buck. Another buck came by and quickly left due to the display of the more dominant buck. She was at 20 yards without a care in the world. He stood at 35 yards and wouldn't come in any further. I didn't want to shoot but needed to get meat in the freezer. I shot her and she fell about five yards. I quickly nocked another arrow and he turned broadside. He stayed this way for about 5 minutes. I just couldn't pull the trigger. I let him walk. He was pretty busted up.
    On Friday the 15th, I set up on an unbelievable hillside where we had seen deer running back and forth. At around 8:00am another busted up 120-130 showed up and was making his way to me. I grabbed my bow and turned to get into position and the stand creaked. He looked up for a second the continued to work his way in. He then was at my right and it creaked again. He stopped for a second then continued on. As I look back on that instance, I'm glad it happened that way. I would've liked to wait until late season to see if he comes around. Got to see what else is out there. The area has been hit pretty hard with EHD and you can tell. There are a lot of yearling bucks and does. Maybe the younger does will come into esterous in December and it will be unbelievable. One can only hope. Anyway......50 points are on the board.

7. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job D34, I was seeing deer every time I went ut until like a week ago. Nothing now.

8. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a new trail cam pic of a nice buck. This is from one of my employees house. I am going to hang a stand tomorrow there. I am on vacation next week [​IMG]

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow and Wednesday. 30 degree drop in temp from today to tomorrow. Should be really interesting!

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heading back out tomorrow. Temps will not get out of the 30s here tomorrow. The deer should move early.

11. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been tough here. 1nov to 19 Nov at deer camp. Saw 9 deer total. Hunting farm country for a week then head back up north.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How is everyone doing??

13. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Horrible.

14. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    That good huh?

15. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen 15 deer in November. 1 decent 8 point. 8 of those deer were from a wheeler. I've arrowed 8 ruff grouse though.

16. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to hunt some more this weekend. Indiana is a 1 buck state, so I'm after 1 of 2 specific bucks on the property I hunt. If I'm with my wife, she gets to shoot any of the other bucks. Unfortunately, she doesn't like sitting in the cold weather, and also complains if I leave her at home on any of the days that we get to be without kids. This severly limits my hunting time this year, making it extremely difficult to take down the 160+ inch deer, since he likes to hide the majority of the time. :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  17. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down! Story and pics later... gotta head off to the inlaws for turkey and football

18. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right on!

19. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal! I'll be back in the stand in 37 days! That leaves me around 25 days to hunt. I'll keep you guys posted! Good luck everyone and happy Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Looking forward to pics and story!