Has Gander Mtn gone down hill?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Nov 19, 2013.

1. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i'm offended if i go into a hunting store and don't see at least one mount of a deer.

2. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked in a Gander Mountain for a while. The mounts were removed and the shoe selection and clothing were expanded to "cater to additional clientele." As for prices on used guns, for the most part employees have to offer a fixed amount of money for a specific model determined by corporate. While there (as a hunting associate) I tried to learn how to adjust/ tune bows, but the company itself wouldn't provide training on how to do so. Nothing more embarassing than trying to sell a bow without being able to let a customer shoot it. I have also previously worked at a Cabela's, and I can't tell you how different the experience is. The focus on customer service is very different, and you can get a lot of really good deals in the bargain cave. From my experiences Scheels trains their archery techs the best out of all 3, on par with a lot of actual archery pro shops. I like to shop small when I can though. It's worth spending an extra couple bucks to help out a small town shop.

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been to G.M , but we have bass pro and cabelas near me. Every time I go I wonder why I even bother. The only guy that's on the ball at bass pro is the guy trying to sell vacations. And they never have what I came for. Neither has anything in the way of knowledgeable customer service.
    I use cabelas just to get my hands on stuff and then have the local store order it or order online.
    I know this was about Gander, but I think they've all gone the way off the pig.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The two Walmart's in our area have at least 4 shoulder mounts and one has a full piebald mount.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gander Mountain has always been sub-par to me. I only got here when Wally world doesn't have it. ****'s is starting to be as bad as Gander Mountain is. BPS will be here in December. I can't wait!

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a gander mountain 30 minutes away, 40 minutes away and now they're building one 15 minutes away.

I completely agree though Fitz. Almost no matter what I need, they don't have it. If I want a piece of camo, nope, ammo, nope. They have the target I like but then again so does the shop 15 minutes away, and theirs will be on sale occassionally.

The place has really gone down hill lately, but they're building more.

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one that is 45 minutes from is actually pretty good. Had tons of stuff. Their prices are insane though...When you can buy it off ebay new shipped to the house for almost half the price....lol. I did buy a nice Rivers Edge lock on stand on sale their last year. Like in a previous post. The people that work there know nothing.

8. WiresSuck

WiresSuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. This thread reminded me of my last visit to the Hattiesburg Ms store. Standing in line waiting and a mouse runs from one display to another right in front of me. They are a little high price and don't usually have what I want, but I usually have to stop and at least look from time to time.

9. Shockwave

Shockwave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Gander by me has definitely gone down hill over the last couple years. That used to be my go-to store for fishing stuff and I used to enjoy going there. Now, it's not even one of the places I think about when I need something and I consider it a PITA to have to go there. I'll go to the Cabela's in Richfield LONG before I go to Gander. Hell, I'll go to Walmart (and I can't STAND Walmart) before Gander. Going to Cabela's is like a field trip and I get to play for a while. Even the GF likes going to Cabela's so we make an event out of it. I usually find what I want at Cabelas, then order it from their online site for cheaper or order it from Amazon for way cheaper.

10. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My nearest GM recently turned into a gun world. Their prices seemed pretty high. I didn't tend to shop there before it became gun world as I have a Bass Pro 5 minutes away and a cabelas 30 minutes from my house.

11. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Folded like a napkin....that was classic! I needed that, to funny.
    To bad a hunting store has to hide their trophy mounts now days to keep from offending someone, yep...sad case overall there.

12. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gander had a big firearms trade in day last year, I brought an Ithica 37 deerslayer in to trade, it had fancy wood, gold filled engraving, a bird barrel and slug barrel with an ultra dot red dot, mounted scout style. They offered me $120.00. Mine is in Middletown, NY. Most of their prices are very high and the selection usually sucks.

13. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The one near me has turned into a fashion boutique. Virtually zero archery equipment and over priced clothes. Sad!

SCFox

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    So far my local Gander has been fine! Hope it stays that way! Taking mounts down,,,unreal!!!

15. norseman112

norseman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    they lost me five years ago. The staff is not very knowledgeable and archery went down hill.

16. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ours is all guns now, bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one that is close to me has a lot of Archery stuff...very decent selection. The only problem is they "had" a very nice indoor range, now they use it as storage.

18. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The nearest Cabela's is 2 1/2 hrs away so I shop at a Gander Mtn. which is only 45 minutes. I will say I've bought the best insulated hunting jacket and pants I've ever owned on sale there. I also like the shoe dept. Other than that I usually just look.

19. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was at one in St charles IL and was disapointed in the service and the condition of the store Bass pro and Cabelas much cleaner well staffed and stocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I been in 2 Gander Moutains and neither have impressed me! I found a decoy i wanted but it didnt have a price tried to ask someone how much it was and they had no clue and didnt know how to check. I was like what you work here and cant check the price of something. After that we left and i will not return to their stores!