When is it just too cold to hunt for you ??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TJF, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lacrosse boots. Ice Mans to be exact. Wore them for 20 years. Just replaced them last year. Just got another set of lacrosse boots.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the late season as it weeds out most of the other hunters. It's great to be out without the wind blowing, but as you know, the wind is a deal breaker up in this part of the country. Come on global warming!

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once snow is on the ground... I will switch to a very light weight pac boot. I do a lot of walking getting in and out of my spots so I don't want a heavy, bulky pac boot. They are small enough where I still can use them in my climber if I would decide to climb a tree. Not that I do very much of that as I mostly hunt from the ground... but I like keeping my options open should the need arise.

On really cold days, I just throw a foot warmer in the front of my toes in the pac boot and my feet stay nice and toasty.

Tim

4. IowaHusker28

IowaHusker28 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well yesterday was the coldest I've ever hunted. It was 7 degrees in the morning with a 20 mph wind right in my face. It wasn't bad for a few hours but I sat all morning and all afternoon with an hour break for lunch. Lets just say with it being 5 degrees right now, I'm hoping to get out this afternoon and just scout right now.

5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Today / single digits ..................... Brrrrrrr

6. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being skin and bones I don't hold body heat very well. For bowhunting, where I can't really bundle up my upper body, I can't hunt much under the low 20's, and if there is any significant wind the mid 30's is my limit. When I gun hunted and could really bundle up I would hunt down to no colder than around 10 degrees. Good thing I don't live where it is really cold!

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course it doesn't get real cold here but I have been down to about 10 degrees. I hate using a release when it is cold though... I hate using a release... anytime for that matter. I am just a dinosaur I guess who doesn't like all this modern technology. I killed plenty of deer when I was shooting 200 fps or less.

Anyway... I am fine being cold in the afternoon but I hate being really cold in the morning...

8. horus11b

horus11b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    -60 was the coldest i've ever hunted. I was rifle hunting for meat before winter in alaska. It sucked alot... lol

9. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    well i found out the answer to this question this morning. today was it. temp was 24 with a north wind sustained about 10 mph gusting up to about 30mph. was in a shooting house but it was drafty as hell. and the way it was set up, the land kind of funned the wind right in to the shooting house. i made it 2 hours (no heater) and decided to call it. i don't see how you guys up north do it!

10. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never skipped a hunt because of cold although I have skipped many hunts cause of warm weather. Cold weather= deer movement. Some of my best hunts have occurred in well below zero temps. About 6 years ago I bought a Heater Body Suit, probably the single best hunting equipment purchase I have ever made.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    If its 15 and windy, im toast. If there is no wind, -5 and im toast :busted::busted: Im a wuss

12. mrcpntr

mrcpntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    -6*F today,,, almost time to break out the bib pants... An inch or 2 of snow on the ground (very early and it wont stay) makes for easy tracking though

13. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are nuts in the Midwest. Cali boy here blessed I guess except most of the season here is in 100 degree summer heat. Yesterday was cold tho. Low 20s. Cold for Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He doesn't speak for all Southerners... LOL

15. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know if it will be too cold tomorrow morning too hunt, but I have already decided to sleep in the first day of my vacation. Supposed to be around 5 degrees with 17 mph sustained winds. Since I have to take my dog to the vet at 10 it makes skipping the morning hunt a little easier.

16. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that -10 degrees Celsius is too cold with a 24 km wind in the face to make it feel like -21 degrees Celsius. I am curious to know if the deer move when it's this cold.

Sent from my iDen

17. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as its above zero, I'll hunt. Its not pretty and I usually try to cuff it out for as long as I can. As they always say, you can't kill them on the couch.

Chemical handwarmers. Use them and abuse them. I go through a case of them a year.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If buck tag in arsenal still I can stand an extra 10 degrees or more in the negative :)

I love cold days as well, something like Dan said about those cold crisp morns!

19. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With my experiences hunting late season (late December) they don't move more or earlier when its cold. Actually I think they move later when its very cold out. When it's above avg temps in late season I see them move much earlier. Just like any animal it seems they would rather hunker down as long as they can when its cold. Every deer but one that I've shot in late December when its been way below zero was shot the last 30 minutes of shooting light. I've shot deer in temps at -15 to -20 below.

20. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday morning in WI it was 9 degrees with a 20 mph wind. I could only make it for 4.5 hour sit.