Hunting from a ground blind?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowBoss, Nov 18, 2013.

1. BowBoss

BowBoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys hunt differently at all from a ground blind as you do from a tree stand? If yes, than how so?

I found two excellent looking areas, but none of them have a place I can put a tree stand. I was thinking a ground blind would be a great way to get in on the action! :rock:

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you can leave it setup for a while. Once the deer see them they usually head out of there. Most who hunt from them set them up way in advance so they deer dont spook

3. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked a ground blind up a few weeks back and have not used it yet because I hunt state land and it should be set up for a few weeks before you use it, around here if you put it on state land, and leave it, it's bound to get stolen.

4. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my boys used a ground blind last weekend. Another member of the forum can attest to this as well. We went on a short day trip, me and the other member didn't really think they'd do to well out of the ground blind because we popped it up the night before the hunt. We very quickly brushed it in and went back to the cabin for the night.

Following morning we talked about the probability of them not seeing deer because the fact that the ground blind just magically showed up overnight.

Long story short, they saw more deer than anyone on the trip. For the sake of full disclosure the area was baited (legally) with apples.

Here's how the ground blind was successful on our trip.

1. We placed it at the base of a very large tree.
    2. We put some brush around it (very little) I recommend spending some quality time brushing it in thoroughly, but we were pressed for time.
    3. We placed it (luckily) in an area that the deer would be entering the killzone from behind the ground blind. Once they got in the killzone, the ground blind was behind them. In a nutshell, they walked right past it enroute to their destination.

I can honestly say that the deer simply didn't care that it was there once they got past it. Things may have been very different if it was in the deer field of view on the way in.

That's all I've got. Good luck to ya.

5. B-rad

B-rad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Made a brush blind a few weeks ago on the edge of a very large bean field. Had good cover a really thick back drop and cleaned all the leaves off the ground in the blind. Had deer all around on the first hunt out of the blind. It was a blast having deer that close and on the ground.

6. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put it up the day before if possible. If hunting public land, take some time to really brush it in well. First time out with my ground blind this year I put it up around noon and was back hunting that afternoon. Had a couple does walk by completely unconcerned and had a forkhorn at about 3 yards. Brush it in, and as someone else said put it against a big tree or some other backstop that can break up the outline of the blind.

7. BowBoss

BowBoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks for the tips guys! Saw a nice 8 pointer en' rout to the my swamp stand from my ladder stand this evening. Gotta love how things workout! haha

The plan is to get an Ameristep Doghouse and set it up Saturday (gun season opener). Might not even hunt it during gun season, so it should have a good "soaking" in the woods before the 2nd season (December first).