Calling Help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fishingdude93, Nov 11, 2013.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just this past Sunday I had a real nice buck come by at a 100 yds. He was with a 1.5 year old just walking through the woods. I used the primos doe bleat can and he had no reaction to it. Then I got my grunt call out and grunted a bit at him. he did not respond to that either. Just wondering what I did wrong or what else I needed to do to bring him in to shooting range. Different Calls? Different Brands? I used a MAD Game call grunt and the primos can doe bleat "original". Thanks in advance, Dustin

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well sometimes deer just don't care about calls and no matter how good it sounds they may have other things on their minds. The only other thing I would try if I were you is a Snort Wheeze. Somtimes bucks won't come in to a grunt but if they hear the snort wheeze they come running because its basically like talking bad about their momma and telling them their girlfreind is tramp all in the same call.

You could also rattle at them a little and they could come in to that as well.

3. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    Ok Thanks! Any suggestions on a snort wheeze call and rattling antlers. I do not have a set of antlers to use for rattling.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been playing with deer on vid the last couple weeks responding to different calls, and as already has been stated sometimes they just don't care. Other times they come running. There is no magic call, sometimes the deer are more receptive than others. Just the way it goes. I have a video uploading to Youtube this very moment that is a perfect example of this.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's like fishing sometimes they like flashy colors sometimes they don't care for it. If they always answered a lot more people could and would harvest deer with ease.

6. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing some reading on their senses lately trying to get an idea of what I'm up against. I really have the hunting shows to thank for me looking into this, here's why; I often noticed while watching a hunting show or two that when they'd grunt they wouldn't get any response whatsoever, and knowing that deer are prey animals, it didn't make too much sense to me that they wouldn't respond at all. Here's the consensus from the experts.

1. Deer have ears that are essentially antenna that they can move around to pinpoint locations, similar to horses. However, deer only hear about as well as we do. In a nutshell, if we can hear it, they can hear it, and visa versa. The major difference is, they can get a pinpoint read on the sound because of the design of their ears. They will literally know the exact location the sound is coming from IF they can hear it. But again, they only hear about as well as we do. Maybe from 100 yds, he simply didn't hear you.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks are looking for hot does.

Bucks are willing to fight for hot does.

If a buck is already bedded w/ a hot doe, he sure in heck isn't going to leave that hot doe to pick a fight across the field, and he isn't going to leave a hot doe just b/c there MIGHT be another one on the other side of the field. He has what he wants.

I've had a couple of mature deer tending does, and while my grunt or rattle or bleat may have gotten his attention, he didn't leave them to investigate.

8. hugger73hatch

hugger73hatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny story today. I had a young buck across the field chasing 2 does at about 180 yards. Watched him chase them across the field and down into the woods. Did a series of tending grunts and here he comes. Across the field literally right under my stand. Got a real good look at him. Looked like a 1.5 year old 6 pointer. I could have thrown my knife at him and stuck him, but let him walk. Never saw me or smelt me, but was curious as to what was going on. Things are starting to heat up here in VA.

9. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, the 1.5 year old was another buck not a doe

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Like has already been said, there really seems to be no magical formula. They all have their own unique personalities when it comes to calls. Sometimes they come in on a string, while other times, they could care less. All you can do is try.

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The grunt/snort wheeze combo has worked well for me. Do a couple of grunts then follow up with the wheeze. It doesn't work all the time but it has in the past. Also, I try not to get too carried away in my calling, if they won't come in to the first couple of grunts then they probably just dont care.

12. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use calls anymore, never really had a deer pay any attention. Sitting still and quiet is the way to go. Even if they did work to bring in deer, the last thing I want is for a deer to come in looking around to see what made the noise. They are more likely to spot you if they are looking for you.

13. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    I only have this weekend left to hunt for the rest of the year here in Iowa so I am going to try and do what ever I can to harvest a mature whitetail. Thanks for all of the advice though. I will be thinking about it next time I go to call.

14. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to learn how to use my calls. I have "The Great Big Can" long range estrus bleat and a Knight and Hale Death Chamber. Anyone have any advice as to where I can go to listen online and practice?