Worst Luck Ever

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by nrmskate, Nov 12, 2013.

1. nrmskate

nrmskate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just going to rant about how mad I am at myself about this past three day weekend. So Friday morning rolls around and I wake up, get dressed, drive to my property, hop up in the stand by 6am. 7:15am rolls around and I have three big bucks coming straight across my pathway, one stood out from the others, easily being a 160" buck. He walks within 15 yards of me, and I pull back, wait for the perfect broadside shot, and hit the trigger on the release. I notice the arrow went a few inches too high, this was because when I released my string, the son of a ***** popped off the cam and made the arrow shoot up higher then it was supposed to be. So I'm pissed off at myself thinking it's something I did wrong (coat in the way or something). So I wait till 9am for Scheels to open, and I have them fix a couple small issues that the tech said was wrong with the bow (which I got checked before season started just to make sure). It was all covered under warranty, so everything was free and he put it back together. I pull it back a few times and shoot a few arrows, everything seems good. So I go back out in the afternoon and don't see anything. So I wake up the next morning and hop back up in the stand, 7:30am rolls around, and the SAME group of bucks come across my pathway again, but this time at 20 yards. So the 160" comes broadside, I pull back slowly to make sure it doesn't happen again, and WAM, the string completely comes off of my bow before I even get it pulled all the way back. Both times this happened, the deer scurry off. I am beyond pissed and just want curl up in a ball and cry. This is so discouraging guys. I tried to pull myself together and convince myself that god made this happen for a reason. This would have been my first buck with a bow too. I went out the next morning as well after getting the bow fixed again and didn't see anything. It's safe to say that I was very very discouraged over the weekend, but I'm holding myself together and I plan on going out and putting the hammer down on that big boy. Just wanted to let you guys know how my weekend went. Best of luck to everyone!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Worst luck would be not having those chances or ability to. Get the bow possibly looked at by a different place and send at least 12-24 arrows down range with the thing to be sure any changes didn't affect arrow flight, accuracy or anything.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you ask me, something is definitely wrong with your bow that's causing these problems. I wouldn't take the guy's word for it, I'd bring it into a reputable shop and have someone who knows what they're doing look at it. Strings don't just pop off the cam for no reason.

4. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this. Apart from getting that fixed keep your head up! Keep working your best and it will work out. Good luck with that big boy!

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had 2 shots at a 160" deer in one year. You are doing most things correct as far as I am concerned.

6. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you twisting the string as you bring it back? maybe the poundage is too high?

Otherwise, your bow is messed up and you probably have a bad cam that's leaning over to one side causing the sting to rotate off.

7. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks BIG time dude...hope you get it taken care of...

8. nrmskate

nrmskate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips guys. When I first took it to Scheels, they replaced the two bushings on the sides of the top cam (probably the wrong terminology). The tech said they had worn themselves at an angle, and so he replaced them for free. I shot about 5 shots down range after that and everything was fine. I even spun the top cam when the string is off, and it's perfectly straight. The bottom cam is brand new, it was just put on a few weeks ago, but I shot about 50 or so shots from it after it had got put on with no issues. The second time I took the bow in to get the string fixed again, the Tech said everything was fine and that I was shaking too much when I pulled it back which made it hop off the cam again. But I made sure that I did pull it back slowly without hesitation. The second shop I didn't care for to much. I had my girlfriend take it there and they fixed it, and they told her that they shot a few arrows with it out back, which is BS because when I pulled the bow back, the peep site was completely sideways (couldn't see through the opening). So I'm going to take it this week to another shop and see if they have an input.

Thanks again all. This is all so hard to accept when a 160" is sitting right in front of you at 15 yards.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah there is something major wrong with the bow if the string popped off twice while in the field.

Sounds like it might be something thats happening during buck fever... Shaking too much, doing something wrong. I cant think of anything else, after bringing it to two shops and having it looked at and "fixed", shot a lot of arrows and not had it happen until in the stand again.

Something just doesnt add up to me.

Best of luck - You dont get many chances at a 160" deer!

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to find a good pro shop anymore. Thats the reason I started doing my own work a few years back. I hope you get it fixed.

11. sparky

sparky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be discouraged, you should be thrilled to get chances like that. Sounds like its time to go shopping for a new bow though.