Shoulder phobia!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that the big push on big mechs is a joke! I shoot 2 and 3 blade COC heads. No one is going to convince me to change what I'm doing on where I aim. Like I said most of the non recovered deer of friends and family I've been involved with were shoulder hits. What a still picture shows also isn't 100% reality on a live deer. I disagree but hey that's ok. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. HEAVY HOYT MAN

HEAVY HOYT MAN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been known to bust a shoulder or 2, for me that's the best tracking job cause I watch them fall. I have a shoulder blade I made a perfict X in and mounted it on a slice of wood. I have a pic but don't know how to put it up here cause I'm in my phone, not to mention I'm not good with "computer" stuff as it is.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we mostly agree on this. You say most of your shots have been heart and/or lung. You have to hit them there to get them there. Too many people just don't know where the vitals are and you clearly do. I have made a few gut shots... hate em... but as you said. handled right, they are recoverable. I also agree that a shot in the knuckle can be bad news as can one hit in the blade. A bad shot is a bad shot... and a lung or heart shot is a dead deer. A gut shot is not what any of us wants but they do happen but there is no excuse for aiming for a bad hit, just so we can show the world how great our magical expandable head is. That is my beef here.

Maybe you can give me some pointers on getting started with a traditional setup for next year.

4. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is absolutely a problem. I struggled with aiming too far back for quite some time growing up. Part of it stems back to my first ever deer shot with a bow. I was pulling 40lbs from a browning compound and hit the deer square in the shoulder at 20 yards or so when I was 13 years old. My arrow got MAYBE 1.5" of penetration and the deer didn't even run off hard, he just wondered what happened and walked off. From then until I was 18 or so I consistently shot deer farther back than I wanted to and always hated how far I had to track them, how nasty the gutting process was and how little blood there was on the blood trail itself. What changed shot placement for me was the use of a 3D target with the vitals clearly outlined. Shooting at that consistently rather than just a block target, made me feel more confident shooting farther forward. Since I got that target I've shoulder shot several deer, heart shot one, and lung shot all but one fluke last year. I encourage all new hunters to save up some money and buy a quality 3D target, it will really make you more confident when you're out there. I'm 23 now and have no problem sending one through the shoulder blades to the lungs verses shooting a deer in one lung and out into the guts. Great thread topic, by the way, this is what these forums are all about.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post. Agree! Also will help anytime you want on a traditional set up.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk