**** Team 9 Double Lung Liquidators *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by bowhunter448, Aug 19, 2013.

1. luke/r

luke/r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. The wind and family kept me out of the woods today which is the last day of my vacation. I managed to pull next Mon-Thurs off again next week. Hope some horns show up.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did it go?

3. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I'm glad to see everyone out and about. I should be getting some lighted nocks for yotes Monday. And then, I might try and get out as soon as the snow hits the ground!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well. That sucked. Saw nothing but squirrels and turkeys. Pretty sure I had a couple around right at last light. Heard the footsteps and some blowing going on but it was across the creek and never did get a look at them. Pulled my card on my way out. Only about a dozen pics since Oct. 15 which I was expecting around 400-600 in that time span. Not sure if the cam took a crap or there really isn't anything moving in those woods right now. Can't do much about it for in the morning but during the middle of the day there is going to be some serious scouting and rehanging of stands going on.

5. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted in the wind today and didn't see a deer except in the field behind my brothers house was a 2.5 yr 8 tending a doe. My brother saw the buck breed her 3-4 times.

6. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the stand on one hour 45 min sleep...hope that's good luck

7. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch. That's no bueno. Be safe.

In a stand I have only ever say 1 other time.this is the most uncomfortable stand I have ever been in. It's coming out and getting sold. Had a buck and a doe behind me at 630 couldn't tell details. They moved off across the field. Spooked something out on my way in at 545. Going to try to sit till 10.. then try and do some quick stealth scouting eat lunch and get set up somewhere by noon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Just had an encounter with a 160 class buck. Couldn't get him peeled off a doe. He would just look my direction and grunt back at me would not take the bait.

9. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be a little leery with that little sleep. Hopefully you stay safe and drop something!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    How close were you to him? Do you think he'll come back to that spot and give you a shot?

11. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Closest he got was 60 yards. If you watched the last episode of Bowhunt or die the hunt Todd had where the buck came out in the field but just didn't get close enough.that's basically what happened. He did face me once and snort wheeze. Took a couple steps my way. Then the doe started walking again and he wasn't letting her get out of his sight.

Not sure if they will come back to that spot. Debating on whether to sit there this afternoon. Had other plans on where to sit. Don't know whether to follow those through our go back to that stand

12. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the stand where I saw that buck this morning. Really windy and hot. Almost want to go home and rest for the evening.I am wore out from this morning and dad wanted me to set a trail camera close to his blind so that was an extra mile of walking. Supposed to be cold and windy tomorrow. Talking a wind chill of 10 in the morning.

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back!!!!! what an amazing experience to say the least!!

Luke congrats on the doe!!!

Treehopper, sorry for your family's loss

very good to be home! I learned so much from my Illinois trip, it's definitely made me a better hunter! Can't wait to go back next year and cash in on all my shortcomings from this past year!!! awesome to see all our team thread activity still!!! I'll be back in the woods next weekend here at home!

14. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Well.same stand same buck same distances and same result. Couldn't get him peeled off the doe again. Going to try and set up in the fence row the walked out of in the morning.pretty aggressive but I have to do something

15. luke/r

luke/r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have the next 4 days off again. Hope the bucks start moving!!

16. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well boys the ruts about to break open here. Heres my summation of my weekend deer chasing.
    Friday night I was going to go to the bar with some friends but decided that would only lead to the probability of a hang over and wanted to go spotting anyways. Saw more bucks than ever spotting this season. One was pushing 160s id imagine on lockdown with a doe so i knew id have a crack. Im having a real problem sleeping lately, dont really know why. Needless to say i didnt sleep at all friday night just kept day dreaming about shooting a buck in the am. I was on my front portch getting my camo and boots on and I heard a buck run right passed my house dogging a doe and grunting. That got the blood running quick and i rushed to the stand.

I entered "rack city" a super thick bottom where i bumped plenty of shooters in the summer and it was FREEZING 32 it said on the truck but with the creek in the bottom and a little wind i imagine it was about 20. I just picked up some estrous from a friend who knows a guy who owns a deer farm, fresh stuff and smelled rancid. I put a drag rag on my boot and drug it the whole way down the hill to the creek bottom in hopes of a cruising buck finding it and following it down. I got up in my tree and didnt see much but small game hunters and horseback riders on the other hill which pissed me off to say the least.

Around 10 o clock i was literally doing standing squats in the tree to get my legs warm and i heard a grunt, looked over, and a good buck stood less than 20 yards away. I whirled around in the tree to get my bow off a branch and looked back his nose was plastered to the ground where my drag rag was and followed it on a string to 13 yards from the tree. As i turned around i was sickened by what i saw. A half rack 3.5 year old would-be 8 point but only a 4. would have been my second biggest buck ever if both sides were there. Not only did he not have his other side all his points were busted atleast in half and his mainbeam at the end was busted. He walked around my tree and i elected to pass.

After he got out of range i decided to rattle. 5 mins after rattling i had a buck cross the creek come in and work a scrape. Just then i saw my breath travel to him, the wind had changed. I saw him pick his head up and lick his nose looking my way. "gotcha" i thought to myself. He got a nose full of estrous and came right up the hill to me to about 11 yards. I watched him and gauged his rack probably 80 inches at best and a 1.5 year old. thinking it could be my only shot i drew back and looked one more time. Something in me let the string down, he just wasnt what i was looking for and after a few moments he walked out of my life.

I sat that same tree all day, 12 hours with no sleep and nothing to eat but a peanut butter sandwich, my other sandwich fell out of the tree while rummaging through my bag. Nothing would bring me down from the tree i knew this was the best day id get to hunt.

The afternoon came and so did the deer. Saw a shooter 100 or so yards off with does, tried to call to him but it was just too windy. Later saw a buck crossing the creek but away from me. Never got a good look to see how nice he was though.

So all in all it was a success. my spot is producing bone and my estrous is working wonders. Hopefully weather stays cold and i can get a rutting buck to come in.

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great weekend!

18. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Well back at it. On the ground this morning. Backed into a cedar in the fence row close to where that big buck came out and went in yesterday. Might get wet.weren't calling for rain till this afternoon but it's clouding up quick and smells like rain. Temps supposed to drop throughout the day with rain turning to snow around 5. Right now it's about 50. Guess the front slowed down because the were calling for mid 20s yesterday. Hopefully will see some action with this front coming through.

19. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Well nothing so far. It cleared up this morning and got up to about 60. About 45 minutes ago the wind turned out of the north. I moved pretty quick up into my stand it was close. Clouds have started to roll in and the temp has dropped about 10 degrees. As I typed this a young doe and spike moved through about 40 yards behind me.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the updates from the field! These are awesome!