Do you gun hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grnhd, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Do you bow hunt during gun season

1. Yes, I lay down the bow and pick up the gun

48 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No, I keep right on bow hunting

28 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    theres something about shooting a deer at 300 yards that makes me so happy.......... remington 700 varmint in 308 here I come!

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bow hunt all season.

3. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought about bringing the bow out during rifle season but I usually take a couple shots at the range and i realize how much i love gun hunting.

4. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely enjoy my rifle hunting but more-so with the muzzle loader in our December season. Last year I spent half the rifle season inside city limits(bow only) with the Xbow and harvested a doe. Thinking if I can find spot to hunt this year I might do a few sits with bow in there near the end of rifle season just for a chance at a couple bucks that invariably move into that safety zone. My first week of rifle season this year(Nov 15th - 21st)will be spent chasing a wolf in the big woods though.

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, bow all the way through the season. Any kind of hunting I am doing its with a bow, I just think it's more fun.

6. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do take out the Remmington and plan to shoot at least 5 does during firearm season to get the doe to buck ratio a little better. I still wish WI still did earn a buck in our area. I think it helped more than people realized.

7. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I gun hunt every year here in IL. Usually second shotgun season i am sitting at the base of a tree with my Mossberg 500 in my hands. I just use it as an excuse to get a few hours from home with my dad, brother and my cousins. We get that hunting camp feel that i dont get going to my local bowhunting spots. Oh and i usually hunt the late season CWD as well, although this year i may be packing an AR15 instead because the coyotes have been thick and usually decide to show up just out of 12ga range.

8. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I rifle hunt out west every year and will be leaving this next weekend. It gives me a nice break from bowhunting. Less to worry about, and I can be more mobile. Another thing is I don't film any of my rifle hunts so it gives me a break from that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks... although late season January hunts I will occasionally break out the ol Super Blackhawk in 44mag and slam a doe. Other than one late season pistol kill, I just can't get into it anymore.

10. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I had my own land to hunt, I would definitely be out during gun. But seing as though I am forced to hunt public land, and having had to deal with some of the idiots that I have run into out there during the gun season, I think the safest place for me to be is at home.
    Hopefully in the near future I will purchase some land, and then I will go back out.

11. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I gun hunted for 40+ years before picking up a bow for the first time for the 2012-2013 season. I will probably never gun hunt again for any game that can be legally and reasonably harvested with a bow. In addition, in Oklahoma you can bow hunt through out all deer seasons from oct 1 - jan 15 which helps with that decision, although my reasons are more personal & method related. Even if we could not bow hunt during other weapon seasons, I would probably just sit out or I would certainly guide friends and family who wanted to gun hunt. I have nothing against using any type of legal weapon to harvest game.

12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, our gun season actually starts tomorrow morning, and I will be in the woods with my muzzle loader..

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't much before but I will now. (elk, pronghorn, mountain lion) I have an doe pronghorn tag and I hear I need to be ready to take a 600 yard shot because the speed goats get pushed pretty hard during the 'any-weapon-but-really-everyone-uses-a-rifle' season.

14. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put down the Mathews when rifle season roles around normally but since moving to Illinois i only bow hunt unless i take a week or so trip to Mississppi then the 300 weatherby starts slinging lead through cutovers!

15. Landon II

Landon II Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my .270 Xbolt in gun season. Here in the south where they use dogs to run deer like rabbits in gun season you might as well forget about your bow. I have 156 acers of my own land but it doesn't matter, dogs run all over me and the deer are usually going 100mph. I do like to stalk slow with my binos and see if I can get a shot with the .270. My wife got it for me for my 40th birthday and so far I killed 8 deer with 8 shots taken. KNOCK ON WOOD. I like to put pressure on myself not to miss LOL.

16. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I said it feels like cheating TO ME, hunt with whatever you want. No hate from me.

17. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pick up the gun at the end of November because bow season is out until January!! Shotgun and muzzle loader are in in December.

18. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am a gun hunter and proud of it. Not all the orange army are slobs, and it can still be very challenging. I'm no elitist and am proud to harvest however is legal

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I pick of the lever action Winchester 30-30 my dad gave me when I was 12 every year. Its a tradition.

My dad passed away at the age of 64 this year, so it will be extra special if I take one with it. Hoping for good things!

20. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, .. but packing