Bring him close!! How?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mk1560, Nov 6, 2013.

1. mk1560

mk1560 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi All,

Just started bowhunting regularly a few years ago. I have a nice deer on the move near me the past few days. Had him at 35 yards on Sunday and 50 yards last night during daylight. I've been thinking about setting up a mock scrape close to my stand to try and draw him in close tonight... but I'm worried it might be a reckless move. What are your thoughts? Should I wait him out? Should I try to grunt after he passes and gets out of sight? Any thought's welcome.

Cheers,
    MK

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly the soft contact grunts could work to spark his curiosity. Just remember that he will generally circle downwind of the grunt, so you have to be careful that he doesn't pick up your scent. It's hard to say about a mock scrape, because you just don't know when they will come in to hit the scrape. Another option would be a decoy. maybe you can set a decoy up so that he can see it, and that might get him coming in hard for a fight. I've had success with my decoy in the past.

3. mk1560

mk1560 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm really kicking myself for not shooting at this deer on Sunday. I had a much better look yesterday and he is bigger than I thought. Just got to stick to the tree I guess. Will try to draw him in with a grunt or two if the situation feels right. Maybe he'll stroll on through on his own tonight.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you've got him pegged. Good luck with him.

5. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Move your stand in the direction you saw him. Or set up on the ground.

6. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I rely on calling and it definitely brings them in that extra little bit. Obviously...watch him as you grunt. Sometimes they don't hear it the first time. I had a buck getting ready to crest a hill and go out of sight and I finally got a response after 20 grunts...no lie. Killed him at 20 something yards.

7. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grunted up a little 100 class buck this morning before the wind blew me out of my tree. I've had better luck grunting than anything else. If he's out of range and wont come any closer,might as well give it a try.

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Giving him a grunt while he is a little further out will probably spark his curiosity.

A lot of time when a buck is 50-100yds out and you grunt lightly a few times they will make a 180 right for you, especially during this time of year.

9. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get you a "Can" by primos they seem to work pretty well all across the country. I've called several deer in with them.

10. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned dragging a scent line.

I'd be dragging one from where he comes from to right where I want him.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing you have to watch with a scent drag is that you can't control which way he'll go when he gets a whiff of the scent. Just because you drug the scent toward your stand, doesn't mean he'll walk toward your stand. Also, as was mentioned above, if you see him regularly in a specific area, you can move your stand closer to that area. And IF you decide to get a decoy, make sure you set it up the correct direction. If you get a buck decoy, then set it up so that it's about 30 or 40 yards out and facing your direction. A buck will normally approach a buck head on. If you get a doe decoy, make sure it's facing away from you, about 30 to 40 yards out, as they'll approach a doe from behind. Set up the decoy so the buck is quartering away from you as he approaches the decoy.

12. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ? 30 yards once...?...50 yards twice.. freezer still MT?

13. mk1560

mk1560 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea... Not a buck I had on camera during the fall. Was out hunting elk last week and came back to see this boy at 30, but didn't think he was as big as I thought. Went after him last night - another nice buck came in but the sun didn't hold out long enough. Spent a lonely 1.5 hours waiting for animals to clear out. Freezer is full with a cow elk :)

Thanks for the responses everyone. Everything noted.

14. GeneCT

GeneCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The guys are right. I've always had the best luck with a light grunt. Just be aware that he will be alert and looking when he comes to the sound. Make sure you are in position and ready before he gets too close