How many of you stand hunters use a ladder stand?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wisconsin bow hunter, Oct 28, 2013.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I use is ladder stands and every one of the ones I have are Big Game. Large seat and large enough platform. Definitely take a look at them. Easy to use, set up, etc., and I do feel much safer just looking down and seeing the ladder (still use a harness). I don't trust myself with hang ons and have grown to love ladder stands. I have had numerous deer, yearly, walk between the ladder of my stand and the tree it is in. They didn't care one bit.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have ladder stands, but I hate hunting out of them. Seems like every one I climb up squeaks and pops as I go up. I ran out of hang ons last week, so I threw up a ladder stand for the time being. I duct taped each "male" end of the ladder sections before putting the ladder together, which seems to have helped. I also taped all the little spring clip pins used to connect the ladder sections, to try and cut down on the rattling. This is probably the best ladder I have hunted out of, but I'll still take a hang on over a ladder every time.

3. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How do you like your Vector? Were gonna pick a few up for WI when the MN gun season ends and they close them out here in Minneapolis.

4. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt out of a $89 Wal Mart special, two man 15' ladder stand. I'd have to say, well worth the money. Much easier, & more comfortable than a climber, & for me....beats the single hanger I had before. I have/take with me one of those $5 seat cushions to add to the weak cushion that's on it. Makes my rear a little more comfortable if sitting for lots of hours.

Another thing I did do, & or add....was extra ratchet straps. Put a couple additional straps on & tightened em down good.... took nearly all the squeak out of it, & gave it great stability. Im comfortable with my boys going in & out of it. Well worth the inexpensive price, & pretty roomy.

5. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my climber and my ladder stands equally. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The climber is great because you can hunt almost anywhere and at any height. I love my ladder stands because I feel much safer and getting set up is much quicker and easier, plus i don't have to carry the stand more than once. My climber is a summit and i must admit the seat is extremely comfortable. Both are great though.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The thing I love about my climber is that it's extremely comfortable and that I can choose how high I get in the tree. If I have a hill to my back, I can get higher in the tree than normal. Plus, it's fairly easy to move if I don't like the location. The thing I like about the ladder stand is that once it's set up, it's quick to get into the stand because everything is already set up. But it's a PAIN to move the ladder stand for me when the crops are still in because I can't use the truck or ATV. In addition, there are very few trees on the land I use that work well with the climber, and there is a LOT of honeysuckle brush on the land. I'm thinking of getting a lightweight hang on stand and some climbing sticks for these reasons.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I kill just as many deer from my ladder stands as I do my climbers or hang on's. I still use both the climbers in high trespassing areas people can't steal what I am standing on.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any of the cheapo two man ladder stands will serve you well. I've been getting 17 footers in the off season for around 115 bucks.

9. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find my ladder stand is loud and creeks too much.

Sent from my iDen

10. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a couple of Rivers Edge pack and stack models last year. They're 13 feet and weigh just over 30 pounds. They do the job but aren't the most comfortable. I use them for 3-6 hour sits. Pretty convenient to move around but I don't like to set them up every time out. You might want to consider a game cart to carry your stand and gear. And use it to carry out your deer! I use a ghillie suit quite a bit now too. You have to be more careful in your set up and movement but it's the ultimate in convenience. I just bring along a good camo stool with back to sit on.

11. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some 17' foot ladders that I use, but now when I hunt them I pack in my Lonewolf assault and a couple of sticks. I climb up the ladder, set my sticks, then hunt off the side at around 24-25'. It helps to conceal you a bit more and gives me a better wind advantage- It's great!!

12. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  13. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love ladder stands. Yes they are a bit of a pain to move though. The 2 man versions have the back rail which sucks so I stick with the one man stands that have the pad that wraps around the tree.

The key to making a ladder stand comfy is tree selection. Find one that has a slight back lean to it and then pull the legs out far enough to give the seat a slight back lean. Your platform will not be perfectly flat then but not enough to bother you. (at least it doesn't bother me) Also make sure there aren't any bumps or knots sticking out where your back is. Once you've done this get yourself one of those tree umbrellas to mount above you. During a light rain the pitter patter of the rain on the umbrella will let you sleep like a baby in a dry comfy stand. :)

14. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are planning on humping two miles in and out with a ladder stand during each hunt, you should reconsider your options. If you're going to leave the stand in place, a ladder stand will work with a buddy helping you. We have had the best luck moving ladder stands fully assembled using a man at each end and walking in single file.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Until they make ladders 25 ft I probably won't bow hunt out of one....gun hunt maybe....but I rarely gun hunt.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use ladders on certain spots but always have my climber ready incase I need to be mobile.

17. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all the advice.Thats what I enjoy about this site the most... I can always count on getting some very good information. Good hunting to all!

18. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the same thing, then it stole my bosses welder and made my own ladder sections. It's kind of a hassle hanging a 20-25' ladder stand, but it's a lot nicer than being 15' off the ground :lol:

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the comfort of the ladder stands and the ability to hunt so many areas but I make a lot of noise getting them up a tree and I don't like the fact I can't get down quickly if I want to put a stalk on something.

I'll still use it but I'm putting more Ladder stands on the property.