when to call

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Minimaude13, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Minimaude13

Minimaude13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im sorta clueless when it comes to calling and rattling for deer I normally just find good places and sit back and wait for them to come. when is the best time to use calls and rattle bags? and how oftern and stuff any info appreciated

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya buddy, I have not the slightest confident clue other than watching other hunters or the bowhuntingordie show. Sad to say but honest. I learn best from observing. I hardly use a rattling call, i've never had any luck but I always take my grunt call. I only use the grunt call when I see a buck and he doesn't look to be coming across my path, I use it for a little persuasion. For me, it works best during seek and chasing time and rut.

This past weekend, I had success with the grunt call. A buck I call the "super six" (a big six pointer obviously) was chasing does and he wasn't going to cross my path, so I through a little persuasion his way. Tho, he didn't take immediate interest in it, about 30 minutes later he did wrap around down wind and came into my path. He stayed just out of bow range but close enough to give me buck fever!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your hunting!

3. teebugg

teebugg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do a few doe bleats in about 15-20 minute intervals. Ill throw a few buck grunts in as the rut picks up. Mid morning to mid afternoon ill pick up the rattling bag and make some noise for a minute or so. Throw in a few grunts maybe a snort wheeze or two. Ill shake branches around to make it sound more realistic. Biggest thing i do before i even think of making any calls is to look around my spot and make sure i dont see any deer.
    If i see a buck or a doe, the doe bleat seems to be the best option.

4. ntjohnnson

ntjohnnson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had never had any luck rattling or grunting before until this year. The only thing I changed was if I could see the deer I would grunt/snort-wheeze, whatever. I only call if the deer is obviously not going to come my way. If you can see the deer you can see them react. If you grunt a couple times at a buck and he just shrugs it off then get a little more aggressive with a snort-wheeze. If the deer isn't going to make it into range anyway what do you have to lose.

5. BuckHunter_Kyle

BuckHunter_Kyle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I always tell people but apparently they have something to lose. If i call I usually make a doe contact grunt or two during early season if I feel like calling a lot I'll do it in about 30-45 minute intervals. As the rut starts coming I'll make a couple bleats or so and maybe a young buck grunt after if I know a mature buck is roaming the area. I don't usually rattle very much. During the rut you can blind call a little more aggressively but during early or late season the best calling is usually not calling at all or calling very little. If I see a deer out of range like you said I'll grunt a time or two just to get their attention if they look but don't come just leave it alone because to much will usually get them thinking because its not very natural if you make a ton of grunts and most likely run them off. Deer are not very vocal animals and it's not every day that you'll hear one grunt or bleat and rarely will you hear them fight or spare so I usually don't call very much even during the rut. Hope this helps! Good luck this season!

6. howie

howie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only luck I ever had with calling was last year when i had a decent 10 point coming across the field I was hunting. He headed towards the opposite side about 100 yds from me, into a low spot where I couldn't see him. Once I lost sight of him I grunted twice. He came right at me and I got him. I also had a doe decoy about 30 yards from me and I convinced him someone else was moving in on his turf.

On the flipside, I can't get my son to quit calling. He's hunting the same field, lots of deer, and he calls almost nonstop. Drives me nuts. I told him to quit, as all he's doing is training them, but he's 18 and I'm 43, so he knows it all and I don't know squat.

7. citypointer

citypointer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience its best to call when deer are close to or out of your sight completely. That way he hears it and runs in curiously. If the deer is within 50-75 yards when he hears the call he might look around but not see anything and continue on his way. Don't get discouraged if your call doesn't work right away. If a buck is chasing a doe he might revisit the scene where he heard the call. I've had bucks run through and not even blink at my grunt/rattle but make their way back into the area after an hour or so. Maybe coincidence but thats my thinking.