tracking help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bluesky2012, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot an 8 point this morning in NC. Spent all day tracking it. The arrow impact wasnt perfect, but we were finding consistent blood, and even some pools of blood 8 inches around. Just recently had to call it a day because we spent so long tracking it, but will be back out at first light. My question, given where it was shot, and the route it traveled, anyone have any tips on recovering it? It traveled primarily north for about 500 yards, with one time where we lost the blood trail for about 100 yards. Last we saw it was getting close to the school and seemed to be turning to the west, probably running parallel to the school. Anyone have any guesses, tips, etc on where it would be? Also, I provided a goofy picture of where it was hit, so if that makes any difference let me know. I'm working my tail off to find this one...

2. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You probably nicked one lung. 500 yards is a long way. Tree stand shot? Pass thru? He could survive that.

4. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was out of a ground blind from 20 yards.

5. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also I have never seen a deer lose this much blood before. It's crazy to me. I'm gonna go out tomorrow to look again before I believe it survived.

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck years ago that high from the ground. I waited overnight and found it in the morning about 400 yards from the spot of impact. Good luck to you in finding yours.

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you hit him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How long did you wait before tracking him and what do you mean by the shot "wasn't perfect". If the shot wasn't perfect it would have been wise to give him some time before tracking him.

9. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Suspect a leg hit. They bleed a lot but it is external bleeding so it seems like a lot. Internal hits fill up the body cavity and damaged hearts don't pump blood for long.

10. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We waited probably 30/45 mins before tracking him. It was a little above center, but didn't seem like it was above the spine. He's just bleeding a ton but still traveling far. Confusing. Also there's a lot of people in the area so likely he got bumped a few times anyways before settling down. We'll see.

11. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Started tracking too soon .. . . ..

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe... but if there was real heavy blood, that's easy to do. There are usually multiple clues to determine what to do. How did the deer run off? How much initial blood? I love seeing heavy blood at the hit sight? That will almost always be a dead deer. Did I hear a crash? One of the surest clues to back off is when I see a deer following a trail that makes sense. That is it comes to a turn in the trail and follows it. A mortally hit deer runs through stuff, not around it. Lots of clues but it takes practice and experience. No two are the same.

Anytime I see a pool of blood... unless I have already waited a long time... I am backing out. That is a jumped deer. A deer that was able to stop, lay down, get up and run again, needs 8 hours... Pushing them will almost never play out well.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  13. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know we went fast looking for him and it was stupid because I know the rules of thumb for that. Excitement over took us. I can only hope that after 14 total hours of looking that he somehow survived and made it away. I'm going out again tomorrow for a third day of looking but not hopeful. Gonna be hard to get back up in a stand after this one.

14. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like you might be pushing him

15. Swampleech

Swampleech Newb

Dislikes Received:
    y'all ever find your deer?

16. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Swampleach, I blame you for everything. Worst hunting buddy ever.

But seriously after 14 hours of lookin in some of the hardest brush in NC I didn't find him. 90%sure what we had was good lung blood and lots of it. Y'all think he's dead? Been 2 weeks now, and I'm going back out this weekend again to search for that deer . Lost lots of sleep over him.

17. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing from the pic where you think you hit him and from your description of the blood trail it sounds like you hit an artery to me...constantly pushing him may have kept that blood from being able to stay clotted if it wasn't completely severed, and likely, IMHO, you have a dead deer out there somewhere. This late afterwards you have very little chance of finding anything since the carcass will have been picked clean and likely scattered about by various scavengers. I'd say stop losing sleep and make sure your next shot/chance counts.

18. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm gonna do one last search because the area is semi enclosed (800x 400 meter box kinda) with roads and construction around it so I think he's still in there. Hard to believe he'd cross major roads while bleeding out.

19. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. Bluesky2012

Bluesky2012 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't find anyone with a dog to help sadly.