**Team 8 Venison Vigilantes Official Thread**

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by jlbmarine, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Also the last pic is hard to see. I thought it was possibly the same buck as the first but the body is much bigger and the smaller buck has a black spot on his hind quarter. It was great to know that they're moving in the day. :tu:

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled my memory card that night and determined it was a doe. She had walked in about 3:30. If I'd been in the stand when I wanted to be at 3, she'd have been dead. No other deer were with her. Oh well, at least it wasn't the monster buck. But I still would have liked to have her in the freezer! I will likely only get to hunt one day this weekend, but will get to hunt both days next weekend. I really hope the farmer gets the damn corn out of the field!

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buck come in at last light. Gave me a 25 yard hard quartering away shot. Hit him hard, The Nocturnal was lit up Bright Red as he ran out. He broke the arrow off in him after he ran about 50 yards through my turnips. I got about 14 inches of penetration. Not much blood. I backed out until tomorrow morning. Going to hunt again tomorrow morning too. I WON"T get much sleep tonight!! I CAN'T sit still!

4. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was it one of he bucks you have on camera?

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yessir!!

6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck Sam! Remember to take it slow on the recovery! :tu:

7. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Sam. Take your time and find him!!!

8. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats the word Sam?

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dont think we will here from Dwayne for a bit sadly.....

On a more positive not I got some better pics of the Backyard Buck and a new brute showed up that I am callin Newbie. Kiddos are goin to Grandmas for the weekend so guess who gets to hunt his butt off????? Yep this guy!!

The Backyard Buck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Newbie... has a crazy right side

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good looking bucks. Thoughts with Sam at this time.

Taking my nephew hunting tomorrow, it is our youth day. So no hunting for me this weekend, but hoping by nephew can drop one. Going to be in the 20's in the morning.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  12. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting packed up to hit it hard all day tomorrow. Weather looks perfect!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

13. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well this stinks, Going to check my cameras this morning, first day I haven't hunted since opening on the 27th last month. The part that sucks is I leave for work back overseas tomorrow, Got called in early, the worst part is that it is the start of the rut. Been in the stand and activity was picking up, noses down, grunting, looking for does. Had an encounter 2 nights ago with a monster, looked up pictures to give reference to size, looked to be around 170-180, and just like that he disappeared, I took a shot, found the arrow, watched the video on my helmet cam, went right at it until it hit a limb in front of it and smashed that to pieces and buried in the ground. All in all, its been great to hunt this year, I don't know when the contest ends, but I get back January 5th, so I'll be in the stand on the 6th. Hope everyone does well, keep me updated gentleman! thanks brothers!

14. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Just stuck a doe 5 min ago. Was a great hit. Now to wait. :)

15. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Called the wife and woke her up. Had her get the kids and bring them out for a tracking and field dressing lesson. I've only been married two weeks but have to say I'm very happy. My wife was thrilled I'm putting meat in the freezer and she wanted to come out to learn how to track and field dress it, as she wants to learn how to bow hunt. She had said this before we got married, but I guess I didn't realize how serious she was about it. Was definitely cool having her out there with her 10 year old son and my 8 year old daughter. My step-son was thrilled to help and he got in there with the knife and helped me quite a bit. Looking forward to getting him a bow and getting him started hunting.

Now, the story for how the hunt went. I had just received my Black Rack rattling antlers yesterday and was anxious to try them out. I had just finished a rattling sequence and set the antlers down less than a minute prior to hearing footsteps. I knew it was the sound of a deer, so I picked up my bow and nocked an arrow just in case it was the buck I've been after. To my surprise, a doe stepped out. Then I heard footsteps and thought, "I hope it's not a fawn with her." Sure enough, it was a fawn. But then I heard more footsteps. At this point, I'm thinking it's the doe with the twin fawns. Nope, another doe stepped out, bigger than the first. I saw her and knew she was the doe I wanted for the freezer.

She was just getting ready to cross onto the property, so I started to draw. But the first doe popped her head up and looked right at me, while I was halfway drawn, at about the heaviest part of the draw. She kept staring, and I couldn't hold it any longer, so slowly let down the draw. She kept looking. At this point, the bigger doe stepped back across the property line and I thought I might lose her. The lead doe turned away, and just as I started to draw, the larger doe looked up, so I had to pause again. All 3 deer stood in the same spots for what seemed like 5 minutes. I just had to pause and hold as still as possible. There was one area behind me that would let them see my silhouette, but fortunately, they didn't bolt. The lead doe stood there, stamping her foot and moving her head back and forth between one side of the tree between us and the other. Then she started walking toward the path I walked in on and I thought she'd catch scent of me.

Finally, she turned around and headed on the direction she was going. The fawn followed and the bigger doe stepped back onto my hunting property. She was about 10 yards away and I drew back, found my spot, and let the arrow fly. Sliced the top of one lung and went through the middle of the other. The arrow didn't pass through, but was sticking halfway out. Found the broadhead half about 20 yards in front of where I hit her and found the fletching half about another 30 yards down the line. She ran straight in the direction of the truck, so I was happy about that since corn was still in and I couldn't drive through the field to get her. Probably had to drag her 50 yards to the corner where I could get the truck in.

Pics are posted in the scoring thread. Tried posting them here, too, but can't get it to work.

16. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One more week of work. Then gondo

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

17. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Captain Morgan.

18. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spent this morning in the stand. No action. Thought this weekend would be a wild one in the woods, but I was mistaken.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

19. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking bucks and congrats on the doe. I'm finally heading to Ohio This weekend to hunt I got the whole weekend off. Hopefully I pick the right tree. Good luck to everyone it's getting to be that time.

20. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I should be able to shut it down Monday. I have one foundation to back fill late in the week but one of my operators can handle that. So I have the camper packed and ready.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free