THE official RI thread.....

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL ok so this might be only me and REMYNGTON posting in here!!

velvet is coming off already, pulling my cards tomorrow, but saw one of my target bucks in the woodline with velvet hanging off and some shiny antlers!!

remy you ready bro?? 6 days and a wake up!!!!!!!! im going insane....bouncing off the walls.....kinda weird its opening on sunday though...all my gear is in the scent locker....knife sharpened and ready to gut!!!

2. DoeDynasty89

DoeDynasty89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go for It RI Pride!!! No bucks on my side only does :( maybe in November.

3. blakerugg

blakerugg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    team rhody huh? im in.

4. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So are any of you folks going to the DEM workshops? 1 April @ Tiverton Rod & Gun and April 2 @ Camp Huntee. 6 pm both days.
    Regulations for 2014 hunting season. Imagine there will be discussion about the BI cull.

5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been to one, probably won't attend. you? where in RI are you?

6. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    South Kingstown.
    Yes, I try to attend every year. I see and hear from too many folks that grumble and complain about one thing or another with DEM, and yet never attend anything that might help improve hunting in the state. Of course, DEM does not always listen, but at least I can say I tried.
    I've enjoyed seeing your land improvements on the other thread. You've done a great job so far and it's been interesting to view the changes.

7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Ya good point and reason to attend, I'd really like to see a spring archery for turkey not just shotgun. thanks for keepin an eye on my land improvements! just came in from out there now. picking up logs and stacking all day....almost at the stopping point for this season!

8. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey from Woonsocket I hunt Big River most of the time trying to get more public areas. I have a friend with 12 acres and hopping to get a nice buck from his land. Good luck this year to every one in the small state.

9. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Keith! Welcome to the site!

Hey Joe - how is your property looking? Have not seen any new photos. I'm sure you've been busy.

Bugs are ugly around the southern end of the state!
    What do you guys think of what's going on on Block Island? Just wondering since I don't hunt there.

Smitty

10. Rhody hunter

Rhody hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New here . Put me in for team RI. From Exeter

11. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Rhody Hunter. Good luck this year.

Joe - I'm not sure I understand...there IS an archery spring season for turkey. There is NOT a fall turkey for shotgun. This is because the number of birds are not high enough to sustain a SG season in the fall. How's the property looking?

12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    sorry Smitty, i realized that after i posted!!

the property is looking good. I have 2 decent 115'ish-130'ish inch bucks frequenting it regularly late afternoon on a feeding pattern. the field clearing has sprouted so much growth it's a buffet for them, and they love it! I took a walk out back to the prop line yesterday and noticed alot of red oak acorns on the ground. plenty of food for them. 1 double set of stands for me and my son are hung in our killing tree, hoping for a banner year! already planning on this winters work schedule for the land!

Welcome Rhody hunter!! you'll like it here on these forums, everyone is level headed for the most part

13. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry just saw the RI thread for the first time. Good to see there are more RI hunters joining in and on the forum.

14. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    And just saw that this was started last year. Haha. WOW I'm behind the curve.

15. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Anyway, welcome new RI hunters. Heck we might as well keep this thread going now.

16. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Joe, kinda figured that was the case. Made me chuckle.
    Buffet is good for the deer -. Hope you have a banner year. I always get the All outdoor package and put 3-4 in the freezer each year. No monsters and that's ok by me.

Things are rather quiet on RI Hunts, eh Remy? Too many know-it-alls for my taste. I lurk just to keep tabs on things, but seldom post - it's not worth the hassle.

I've been practicing in the back yard and looking forward to some cooler weather. Note: I said cooler, not cold! LOL
    Can't wait for the tourists to leave.

Smitty

17. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah Smitty I hear ya. I've been slinging the sticks in my yard aswell. Getting anxious for season. I also got my hands on a new, to me, 2008 Diamond Marquis that I've been messing with. It's a great shooting bow.

18. Smitty0220

Dislikes Received:
    For me it's a ten year old Darton (that I love). Also picked up an Excalibur Axiom recurve Xbow. I've got permission to hunt on a 10 acre farm and wanted something with a smaller margin of error (hunter type errors mind you). Will use my bow for all hunting except this piece. Just too many neighbors in the area. I think that urban hunting is going to expand and I am hoping that the Xbow will be effective. The Darton is great, but for tight properties, I want to see how the xbow performs. I'll keep you posted.

Not a good year for apples, but some of the oaks look more productive this year. Lots of bug damage on the oak leaves in most places I'm seeing. How about you?

19. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a buck i've been following since last year. Hasn't grown to much rack size, he's gonna be hard to pass on this year though!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's on his summer feeding pattern, very predictable. will make a nice opening day buck if i decide to shoot!

20. REMYNGTON

Dislikes Received:
    The Oaks are looking great in where I'm concentrating on. Have been really busy during the off season and didn't get hardly close to the amount of scouting and planning I wanted to do. I didn't get my trail cam out until last weekend. I'm hoping for some luck this season to help me along.

That's definitely a nice looking buck Swamp. He wouldn't be getting a pass from me that's for sure. But then again I'm still looking for my first buck with a bow anyhow.