what I do to cover my sent

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by 920hunterjohn, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 920hunterjohn

920hunterjohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do for cover sent, first I take 3 garbage bags to the woods, and I go into the area I am going to hunt,I clip leaves and branches some bark I throw into the bags, but I do not grab nothing off the ground,I sit in a tree, I do not want to smell like the ground,2 of the bags I tie up and put in the sun for a week or so,I dump everything out, and use these 2 bags, to put all my camo in,,,, socks, underware,everything I am going to wear in the woods,the other bag I put everything in pot with water heat it up,bring it to a boil, let it cool down,run it through a coffee filter and poor into a spray bottle,then I use this to spray down with,its a little work but you smell like the area you hunt and its cheap, I think most of things you buy in the store smell to stong,if you have any good ideas add them

2. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good. The odor eliminators do work. Test it out on a sweaty ball cap and you will see that it works. Nothing wrong with going old school either.

3. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

ha, you said sweaty ball...

I love this idea. I'd rather smell like the woods than slightly less like a human

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good I know guys who do this.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shower before I hunt, wash my clothes in scent eliminating soap. I think its even like "woods scented". then spray down when I get to the field.

6. Black09JK

Black09JK Newb

Dislikes Received:

Along with this I throw a few handfuls of the local vegetation into my clothes tote. Makes me feel like I smell a little more like the woods.

7. DEVIL BUCK

DEVIL BUCK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Rubbermaid tote spent days getting rid of the "tote smell". Washed it out with scentless soap, sprayed with scent covering spray. I repeated that process for about a week and a half. I wash my clothes in scent away scentless detergent. then put them in the tote. While they are in the tote I have a few hunter specialties scent wafers (6 to be exact, maybe a lil more than a few lol). Every time you open the tote it definitely smells like a pile of leaves. I spay down when I get to the field and I'm ready to go. I also wear three scent wafers on me when I get there or hand them up around me via the climbing stand or close tree branches.

I also take my harness and tree rope and throw them in leaves I have raked up out side and let it sit through out the week. Not too sure about this method, I might have to get back to you lol.

8. Masskiller

Masskiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so basically your boiling the garbage bag in a pot when it melts u pour the pour it throu a coffee pot,, an this really works????

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's boiling the contents in the bag, not the bag.

I believe there's two components to beating a deer's nose. #1 is scent elimination. I shower and use scent free, anti bacterial soap. I was my clothes in scent free detergent and try to store them in a scent free container. I spray down w. scent elimnator before I head into the wood. #2 is cover scent. I want to not only eliminate my human odor, but I want to replace it with an odor the deer doesn't associate with humans. I've used several different cover scents but have settled in on Final Step, Cedar. It is basically all natural extract from cedar trees and is strong enough to cover up my scent. I've had good success with it, and have had deer follow the scent trail to the base of my tree, I've watched them walk the same trail I came in on and they do not alert at all.