Team 6: Red Sun Rising Official Thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally had some deer in bow range this morning. Two does and two button bucks came across the creek and caught me by surprise. They slipped in behind the tree where I was sitting. Due to some limbs (it isn't my stand, so I didn't have a say in any of the trimming) I never had a clear shot at either doe. I could have shot at one of the button bucks, but I let him walk.

It sucks I wasn't able to fill a tag, but at least they finally seem to be on their feet.

2. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a nubbib buck at 750 this morning. ..a lot of scrapes are starting to show up too!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately he feel short on his quest to sit on the porcelain throne. 7 inches short! hahahahah! Did you hear that???? Whispers softly in your ear..... Boneheads.... :moose:

[​IMG]

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard that deer will not even make pope and young.;) It's not even close on mine.;)

5. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck there tho a bruiser at its finest got any pics with the body?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning and didn't see anything. Got out little later than wanted to bit still got set up about 20 mins before shpoting light. Right before got to edge of timber heard something go running off so don't know what that was and it was as close to I got of seeing anything besides squirrels. Probably head back out this afternoon bit with 20-30 mph winds in forcast I'll be in ground blind.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bone is bone anyway you look at it brother!!! :hater: True he has lots of deductions. It will all depend if one point on his left side is scored as a abnormal or regular point... That is yet to be determined!

8. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    You were the one whining that it missed by one inch and after it dries it would be less likely. :tu: Like I said, it is not even close with mine. ;)

9. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Saturday evening and saw 3 bucks. a 6, 7 & 8. I couldn't get the 8 to come in close enough. He's the one I posted up in the videos a few pages back. As I was climbing down, he walked by at 30 yard. I could just make him out in the light. He ended up walking right by my camera at 6:53pm.

Was out this morning before work and saw 3 doe. could have shot 2 of them but not ready to just yet.

Here's a video of the 6 pointer...
    6pt_zps7b71d595.mp4 Video by DennyRussell | Photobucket

and here's the buck I've been chasing. Notice the time stamp on Saturday night.
    [​IMG]

and here's a daylight of him from Thursday.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well had release hooked to loop and ready to draw for 15 minutes of fleeting light last night but the does never moved the 5 yards I needed them to...watched my sight pins dissolve slowly until it wasn't a ethical or right choice to shoot, despite still having 5 minutes of legal light. The past few days I say lots of mid-afternoon movement...exactly what was predicted with Full Moon and nearly fill freezer some last night.

Saturday saw our resident doe and fawns come through...I let her walk due to she is one of the only does that is on our property every single day...not too mention her little fawn buck seems very tiny for this time of year...if I take her I'll do it late season, would really like to take a doe or two out of the other group that frequents through ours some.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice buck there Pops! Good luck on him!

12. badgerboi21

badgerboi21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, got to my cabin this weekend for a few sits and some camera checks. I saw no deer during my two rainy/sleety hunts. And after checking 4 cameras spread out over 120 acres revealed no bucks for the third straight month. I'm kind of at a loss with how to/where to hunt my property. I'm going to stick with it however and do what I can to earn some points for our team.

One negative I found from my camera check was seeing a wolf on my property. I know they are in the area, but I hadn't had a picture up until now. Hopefully just a stray!

One positive from the weekend was finding a really large 5 point shed from a deer I never had on camera last year. Very massive. It looked like an Alberta whitetail rack.

Anyway good luck y'all!!

13. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on heading out to my main spot this weekend, but I'm a bit torn on morning vs. evening.

I'm still paranoid about jumping deer on my way to the stand, so I am thinking about doing an evening sit. I expect this will be a great weekend to be in the woods and I don't want to miss a chance at a buck out there. I did have a possible shooter (he was moving so the picture was blurry) go past my stand at first shooting light on 10/15.

I figured I'd ask you guys for advice. This time of year do you feel morning or evening sits are better? Last year the last weekend in October was the best one for me in terms of seeing bucks in the woods chasing does, so I figure it will be a good weekend again this year. The activity I saw last year was in the evening, so that has me leaning toward sleeping in and getting out there mid-afternoon and sitting until dark.

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I see a lot move movement in the afternoon but see more buck movement in morning. Thsfs how it was last year. I went out yesterday afternoon and saw one doe bit there was about 8-10 by my other stand in corn field. Idl if I'll head out again until after Nov 1. Let things calm down and hope to see more activity. Things have been down for last couple weeks but you never know when something will snap and get things goin.

As far as morning vs evening I can't really say. I have a stand like that too. Its hard to get into in the morning cause always blow something walking in. Guess could always try getting in real early I just hate waking up that early ha

15. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas this evening will be my last sit with a bow for a week or 2. Iv hunted harder this year than I ever have before. Something like 18 sits in since oct 1 and I have had exactly one shot that went over a fawns back at 35 yards. Iv had numerous deer in range but never had the right angle or something spooked them. I'm starting to think that I am cursed. Tomorrow starts our black powder season, I won't be able to get out until Tuesday, but I'm hoping that I can end this curse and at least get some meat in the freezer.
    It seems like we may have an early rut this year, a lot of people are seeing bucks pushing does already. Good luck to everybody out there

16. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well finally got some time off, left yesterday evening to hunt today & tomorrow with my dad. Had 2 little bucks right under me this morning but I was looking for something else. Might shoot a doe if a shot presents itself. I'll keep you posted.

17. frenchbritt123

Dislikes Received:
    Ty, just wanted to make sure you knew we put 3 more in the scorecard. How's your hunting going? ;)

18. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we got some more points on the board fellas!! Don't wanna steall the thunder so haveta wait ha

19. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir lets get it up there fellas. Good luck team to everybody goin out this weekend. Be Safe

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

20. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So all the time in the stand finally paid off. Today was the last day that this particular area was open until December, and iv been trying hard to make a kill on it. I decided to go to an area iv never hunted before, and it paid off.

I got in the stand about 3:15 after climbing a tree, standing on a limb, then moving my entire climber up and over 2 limbs. It was pretty slow going with the wind blowing pretty hard and nothing but squirrels moving. Then about 6:40 I decided to shoot a squirrel, and as I reached for my bow I saw her...

When I saw her I decided to give the squirrel a pass :) she fed in to 32 yards quartered away and I completely missed! Luckily she calmed down and fed back to 14 yards, when she turned broadside I let her have it.

I knew I hit her, but at the shot she went behind a tree and I couldn't see her, once I got down I saw her, she made it 27 yards and piled up in the field. Happy times!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013