<---Team 2 - Woodland Warriors---<<

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Illinoishunter102, Aug 19, 2013.

1. NCRemington700

NCRemington700 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    South Carolina... Fulton Co, IL in November
    All I have to say is...is it November yet?

2. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well went out tonight. Nothing but wind, rain and cold. I saw nothing, heard nothing. Gonna try tomorrow morning if the rain isn't too bad. Gonna be cold in the low around 40. I have plenty of videos of deer under my stand, just never when I'm there. Good luck to everyone else this weekend.

3. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good luck hank I will be out this weekend deer are starting to move more here in nh so I hope to see a buck

4. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    well here's the updated deer vs me; deer 3, me -0. rain, and more rain this morning. I left the woods about 7:45, raining too much and I got tired of it. Although one cool thing. I made 2 mock scrapes using Tink's Power Scrape yesterday afternoon. Checked this morning after hunting, and low and behold a buck had already his and left his hoof print calling card. the good thing is that it should've made it on my camera, since the mock scrape is infront of it. I'll let it go fro a few days and respray the area. I'd love to see the buck all worked up on video from my trail cam.

5. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! With the weather turning colder here I'm hoping for some good movement this weekend. I helped with a youth hunt last weekend. 6 boys hunted and did bible study all weekend. 4 of the boys got deer. A button buck, very small doe, big doe, and a nice little basket 7. All the kids were happy, so it was a good weekend. Good luck to everyone :)

6. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    took a shot shot on a 110-120 ish buck last night. followed blood for about 200 yards. some decent then trickled to nothing. looked again this morning for about 4 hours and no signs anywhere. about 6 inches of arrow broken off, but minimal blood on shaft. I did however find a couple treestands that were left on the property before my cousin bought it, 1 is pretty nice but need seat redone. let me know if you recognize the make.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    Public land buck. Toxic broadhead thru the heart. I'll get him scored and entered tomorrow or Monday. Sucker still went 80 yards! Even with a finger sized hole thru his heart

sent from old school can and string

Attached Files:

8. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again!!! You're doing work!

9. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on the buck

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats RK!

11. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck!

12. NCRemington700

NCRemington700 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    South Carolina... Fulton Co, IL in November
    Killed a 15" wide 9 point a couple days ago....only bad part is that it was with my rifle. Oops. First time I've busted the rifle out in 2 years. I just wanted to sit in an area to see more dirt to get an idea of where to move to with the bow. Well this guy came in to a series of grunts at 7:30 am and walked to 35 yards. Chip shot with a bow or the 30-06. Considering how little I've been able to hunt this year due to my new job keeping me so busy, I let er rip. Felt guilty honestly but I still have Illinois and a couple other really good bucks I've got my eye on here at home. Sorry for the crappy pic but I didn't have my big cameras with me and I was solo so I didn't get any good pics with me in them.

[​IMG][/URL]

13. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Well gentlemen, I made it back from South Dakota, tag still in my pocket. I had a couple close calls, along with the most exciting hunt of my life.
    It was the last day, and three of us had gone to a spot where two of the guys had a close encounter with a really big whitetail. We had a great vantage point and could see a tremendous amount of land and various draws from it. Shortly after light, we spotted a small mule deer buck working his way up one ridge toward us, and one of my buddies was not going to be shy and hold out anymore. About that time, another buck stood up to make himself known to the small muley. This muley however, was not small; not a giant mule deer, but definitely a shooter.
    I got pretty excited and we were developing a gameplan to go after him, when we noticed two other mule deer bucks roughly half a mile away.
    They were bigger, but I wanted the one closer to us, and the other two guys were willing to let me after him.
    We got a plan figured out, and after and hour and a half stalk of peaking and poking up and down the draws and seeing him feed and bed down and move and bed down again, somehow I managed to get to 43 yards of him. The only problem was that he was tucked into a group of 3 cedars and there was no way to get a shot unless he came out of them.
    So I waited. And waited. And waited. For over 3 hours. Finally, I made a little move to get closer, and to cover my bases no matter which way he moved.
    It was possibly me, or the wind swirling, or fate, but the buck stood up and stepped out. Unfortunately, not enough. His vitals were hidden behind one of the branches and he turned and locked onto me. He didn't know exactly what I was, but he knew something wasn't quite right. So he stared at me, and turned and faced me head on. He was now at 35 yards and looking at me. He seemed to tower, more like an elk or moose than muley. He started peeing on his hocks and once he had finished, he let out the most eery sounding grunt/bellow I've ever heard.
    He took two steps, then proceeded to let out 4 more of the grunts. Every hair on my body stood on end, every sense in my body at full force. I was able to draw back, but still had no shot. He continued to stare. I didn't know if he was going to charge me or what was going to happen. He turned, but not the way I needed him to. I let down. The buck was curious and turned back and walked right toward me. I drew back again, this time with the buck ready to step out at 25 yards... Just one more step... and he whirled and ran away, out of my life.
    Or so I thought. I got up and out of the draw, still shaking from the adrenaline, or maybe the adrenaline crash, to look up the valley and see the buck looking around, about 400 yards away. I watched him for 15 minutes to see where he was headed, and in all actuality, he wasn't really headed anyway. He kept looking back, but began to get more interested in feeding. I knew the odds were against me, but I had to try for him again. I circled to get a better angle to use the terrain to help me and started to close the distance.
    In the time it took for me to get close to him, he had actually come one small draw closer to me. I was climbing what was my last knoll when I realized that he was on the opposite side of the same knoll! The only problem, was that all I could see was his head and neck. When he started to move down the draw, I scurried to get to the top. I got there. And he was looking at me again, and once again, let out his grunt. I drew back but the only shot I had was facing dead away from me at 60 yards. The buck turned, hopped about 40 yards to the downwind side, stopped and looked at me. All I could do was tip my hat.

In other news, I got to check my cameras today and FINALLY the buck I had wounded earlier this year, reappeared, and he looks pretty healthy, all things considered. I'll get the pics posted up here soon. Just happy to see he is around

14. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

15. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Here he is, alive and well. I think he's only a 3 yr old, so hopefully being somewhat in his youth yet, if he doesn't get another arrow in him and the winter isn't too harsh, hopefully he will make it to 4. He'll be something else if the injury doesn't affect his growth

Attached Files:

16. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    congrats, way to go for the points!

17. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    way to go Dan! that first pic of your son is worth a 1000 words! and 50 pts for the team isn't bad either

18. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    oooohhh boys! So I think I mentioned last week that i hunted on Wed and made a couple of mock scrape at 3pm. On thur morning there were buck prints in it. I also changed out my sd card in the trail cam facing the scrape. I used the tinks power scrape. I went out there today to freshen up the scrape and sprayed more tinks in it. I noticed that there was 24 videos on the camera and will pull it on Wed when I hunt there. So it's promising.

here's a couple of questions for the group.
    1. I sprayed vs misting the Tink's power scrape into the scrape. Do you think I screwed up by spraying it liberally vs misting it? I hope not. But I guess we'll see what it looks like on Wed evening hunt.
    2. Should I switch over to Tink's drip mock scrape or buck lure?

19. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    congrats RK, you get him up on the board?

20. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think spraying vs misting will be a problem. As far as when to switch, I have no idea. No, I haven't put him on the board yet. Got him quartered and in cooler yesterday. Cut top of skull off. Gotta get him measured. Hoping for tomorrow bit will probly be Wednesday

sent from old school can and string