Scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by OntarioOutdoorsman, Oct 15, 2013.

1. OntarioOutdoorsman

OntarioOutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    While hunting our property we noticed a scrape in one of our fields where there's never been a scrape before. We have another by a tree in a different field that is there every single year. We sprayed Tinks Power Scrape on the new one a few times over the past couple weeks and bucks have been there steady. We just went to see the old one today freshened it up with Tinks this morning. Cameras at both. Heres some pics from the new one last week.

PICT0080.jpg PICT0105.jpg PICT0106.jpg PICT0137.jpg PICT0138.jpg PICT0144.jpg PICT0145.jpg

How have scrapes been going other places?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Central Wisconsin here; I put this (totally artificial) scrape out on a distinct trail through the woods early Sunday afternoon and had this buck on it that evening. I was actually in the tree at the extreme left side of the pics but could not shoot due to the bad lighting/shooting hours. (Time is actually 1 hour later due to my camera being set to Michigan time.) He came right in from just off the main trail, following my Tinks 69 doe in heat drag line right to the scrape (I know its early but what the heck? It is the October lull...) He came in at a steady trot as I was watching a doe about 20 yards in front of me off camera. I would have already been down from the tree if not for her. He hit the scrape, and then spotted the doe and made a bee line for her, whereupon she ran off. The last pic is of another doe hitting the scrape a few hours later.

MFDC0015.jpg MFDC0016.jpg MFDC0017.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. superman

superman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Frustration scrap....

I'm guessing scrapes in field are " frustration scrapes" bucks do this when they are ready to breed and does aren't and they become frustrated etc... Notice they are scraped in only 1 direction. Scrapes w tree branches will be scraped in multiple directions.. Just my opinion

4. koonski70

koonski70 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am to from central Wisconsin sat sunday didn't see a thing I didn't see any scrapes yet

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, weather was great but action was pretty slow. Sat all day Saturday and Sunday (minus 2 hour breaks for lunch and nap) and again on Monday AM and only saw 4 deer- nothing Saturday, one buck about 80 yards off Sunday AM just after it got light enough to shoot, and then that doe and buck at the end of the evening Sunday.Very early Monday AM I had an unknown deer ghost by about 60 yards out just prior to full daybreak but never got a good look. Basically I saw nothing between sunup to sundown.

I only saw one other scrape which looked like it hadn't been hit in over 2 weeks, and only 3 lone rubs on a 40 acre parcel. But our trail cams have over 20 different bucks over the last month so they're there; just almost all nocturnal since about mid-September. I figured what the heck; try to jump start some action by making my own scrape. Seemed to work.

6. OntarioOutdoorsman

OntarioOutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Temps are finally cooling down here in Ontario, but it has moved in with some heavy rains. Hoping for a nice day this weekend that allows for some treestand time! Buck movement has picked up here quite a bit. Had two small 6 pointers battling it out in front of me last time I was out haha they are hilarious to watch.

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw two active scrapes in the piece of woods I hunt two weeks ago! I killed a buck out of there and the scrapes are no longer active!

8. OntarioOutdoorsman

OntarioOutdoorsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The night after I sprayed some Tinks Power Scrape at this one scrape this big guy showed up. I saw a buck today but he winded me and took off. Found 8 more scrapes all along one field edge! Getting excited!
    PICT0529.jpg PICT0528.jpg